To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

Helpful tool for searching through My Finds

Helpful tool for searching through My Finds
July 10, 2021 05:39PM
I wrote an application, which analyzes the results of your "my finds" query.

I'm opening it up to the public, for anyone who wants to install it, or fork the code. You can find it (and a screen shot) here: https://github.com/mmendelson222/geocaching-fizzy It runs on Windows (sorry, Mac people).

Of course this has helped me to test my challenge checker scripts.

It enables you to "deep dive" into a My Finds file, allowing you to filter them in new (and multiple) ways. You get a d/t or calendar grid like the ones from Geocaching.com, but you can click on any grid square to see the caches represented by that square, with coord.info links etc. Filtering features mean that you can show a grid of ONLY the caches in one state, or of one cache type. You can also view logs, and easily link to the web page.

There are many things that this is great for, including old challenges - you can search for words in the cache title, the description, OR in logs! It's easy to answer questions like "What does my Traditionals d/t grid look like for New York?" And of course, which caches satisfy that? There's also a search by owner, a list of "avenged" caches, etc. I recently added attribute filtering as well.

I first worked on this 5 years ago, when I was motivated to write an application to tell me WHICH caches fulfilled specific d/t combos, or a particular calendar date. My son and I, as well as a few DC area cachers have used it extensively. It's pretty solid code :)

For more info and installation instructions, go here: https://github.com/mmendelson222/geocaching-fizzy There's also a bug tracker if you encounter any issues.

ALL of the source code is there for your inspection, if desired. I welcome developer contributions, suggestions, or bug reports.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/10/2021 05:40PM by mellow_cello. (view changes)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login