Advanced

Change History

Once a checker request has been fulfilled and the challenge owner (or checker requester) is satisfied the thread should be moved here by a moderator. Please allow some time before moving the thread, to allow feedback from the requester.

Changed By: sapien
Change Date: July 28, 2022 09:30PM

Re: Requesting checker for GC9VW4D
Hi there waterfan5. The output looks great. Thank you for putting that together.

I'm torn now. I'm not sure what to do. I could change the challenge to remove the overlap requirement but I wanted the cross output/requirement because it fits with my other attributes D/T Bingo challenge, plus we have a couple of other local "cross" themed challenges in my area as well. How much time and effort would it take to complete that part?

I'm no programmer but I would have thought it could be built so that the checker runs recursively to figure it out. I'm not sure if the checker can be built to do that or not though.

In my head, this is how I thought it would work. And this is sorta the way I manually figured out that I qualify for this challenge myself. It would take the output that this checker generated and first verifies if the cacher has completed at least 1 row and 1 column or both diagonals. If the cacher hasn't done that, they fail the challenge.

If the cacher does have at least 1 row and 1 column or both diagonals completed (so in my case it would know I have the D1.0 row and T1.5 and T2.0 columns completed), the checker would continue. Next it finds the first intersection point of the first row completed from the row output (so the D1.0/T1.5 square for me which is a multi), fills that square in for the column "checker" portion and then runs the checker again to see if it can fill in the other 8 T1.5 squares with other cache types. If it can, then the cacher has qualified for the challenge.

If it can't find a suitable solution for that T1.5 column that way, then the checker flips it, and tries it again. So it uses the intersection point from the T1.5 column instead (so the D1.0/T1.5 square in myT1.5 column output is a CITO), and then runs the row "checker" part with the square filled in (with the CITO), in hopes it can fill in the rest of the D1.0 row with other different cache types. Again, if it can complete the D1.0 row that way, the cacher has qualified. If not, it moves on to try the same thing with the next intersection point (D1.0/T2.0) in the same way until it basically runs out of options. "Rinse and repeat" with the 2 diagonals as well.

Of course, I have no clue how much work is involved to write a script like that or perhaps a more efficient/elegant checker script to make the cross work. There is no rush so I am willing to wait for this to be completed but I also don't want to waste too much of your valuable time and effort for this. I'm looking for some feedback from you as a checker writer to see if it's worthwhile or not. Maybe this is a 'challenge' (to write the new script) that interests someone just cause or it could be put on the backburner for whenever you have some free time. Maybe this script can be written in such a way it can be reused for other similar challenges, which makes it worthwhile to write (will someone want a 2 row, 2 column challenge someday or maybe a sudoku based type of challenge someday?), or maybe this challenge will be super popular so it's just worth writing it (LOL :-b ).

As I said, I'm open to suggestions and looking for some honest input.

Thank you for what you've done already. :-)

PS - Sorry, I just thought of this. This is another challenge I have - https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC8ZZVH/61844. Could that checker output data be reused for this challenge?

Original Message

Author: sapien
Date: July 28, 2022 09:21PM

Re: Requesting checker for GC9VW4D
Hi there waterfan5. The output looks great. Thank you for putting that together.

I'm torn now. I'm not sure what to do. I could change the challenge to remove the overlap requirement but I wanted the cross output/requirement because it fits with my other attributes D/T Bingo challenge, plus we have a couple of other local "cross" themed challenges in my area as well. How much time and effort would it take to complete that part?

I'm no programmer but I would have thought it could be built so that the checker runs recursively to figure it out. I'm not sure if the checker can be built to do that or not though.

In my head, this is how I thought it would work. And this is sorta the way I manually figured out that I qualify for this challenge myself. It would take the output that this checker generated and first verifies if the cacher has completed at least 1 row and 1 column or both diagonals. If the cacher hasn't done that, they fail the challenge.

If the cacher does have at least 1 row and 1 column or both diagonals completed (so in my case it would know I have the D1.0 row and T1.5 and T2.0 columns completed), the checker would continue. Next it finds the first intersection point of the first row completed from the row output (so the D1.0/T1.5 square for me which is a multi), fills that square in for the column "checker" portion and then runs the checker again to see if it can fill in the other 8 T1.5 squares with other cache types. If it can, then the cacher has qualified for the challenge.

If it can't find a suitable solution for that T1.5 column that way, then the checker flips it, and tries it again. So it uses the intersection point from the T1.5 column instead (so the D1.0/T1.5 square in myT1.5 column output is a CITO), and then runs the row "checker" part with the square filled in (with the CITO), in hopes it can fill in the rest of the D1.0 row with other different cache types. Again, if it can complete the D1.0 row that way, the cacher has qualified. If not, it moves on to try the same thing with the next intersection point (D1.0/T2.0) in the same way until it basically runs out of options. "Rinse and repeat" with the 2 diagonals as well.

Of course, I have no clue how much work is involved to write a script like that or perhaps a more efficient/elegant checker script to make the cross work. There is no rush so I am willing to wait for this to be completed but I also don't want to waste too much of your valuable time and effort for this. I'm looking for some feedback from you as a checker writer to see if it's worthwhile or not. Maybe this is a 'challenge' (to write the new script) that interests someone just cause or it could be put on the backburner for whenever you have some free time. Maybe this script can be written in such a way it can be reused for other similar challenges, which makes it worthwhile to write (will someone want a 2 row, 2 column challenge someday or maybe a sudoku based type of challenge someday?), or maybe this challenge will be super popular so it's just worth writing it (LOL :-b ).

As I said, I'm open to suggestions and looking for some honest input.

Thank you for what you've done already. :-)