Advanced

Change History

Once a checker request has been fulfilled and the challenge owner (or checker requester) is satisfied the thread should be moved here by a moderator. Please allow some time before moving the thread, to allow feedback from the requester.

Changed By: sapien
Change Date: October 13, 2023 08:08AM

Re: Requesting a checker for GCAEV95
Thank you for the quick turnaround. I've tested the checker a few times and it looks good so far. I'll test further, as any other changes are made.

Firstly, whew! Thank you for figuring out why there's a difference between the numbers I was getting from the GC98CP4 checker and manually. I'm glad there was a logical explanation. That never even occurred to me though from the description. My bad.

As for your list of allowed cache types, I noticed GPS Adventure Exhibits are not part of it. Was that intentional, because they are "classified" as events? If so, I can add them to my exception list in my description. Ultimately the reason I excluded events from this challenge is because, in theory, their "hidden dates" and date found should be the same, making all them age zero and therefore irrelevant for this challenge.

I try to be explicit with all my challenges and always say I exclude adventure labs and benchmarks from them, I'm glad they are "auto" excluded.

I never thought about locationless caches though until you brought them up. I wasn't worried about the 3 recent ones (8FROG, 8NEAT, 9FAVE) because they could only be logged them once (as far as I know anyways) but could the original ones be logged multiple times? As long as they are only counted once, as per my other rule, I'm ok with allowing them. If that's not possible though, please exclude them. If there are any other gotcha(s) with them, please let me know.

I can wait till you find out about BMAFMJR before I add/don't add that to my challenge criteria list. The main reason I asked for that exclusion is because there are some travelling caches on that list which were found many, many times (500+) by some local cachers before they got archived. As a result, those caches would significantly add to their totals for this challenge given they are very old caches as well. I was just trying to keep it fair. But if BMAFMJR can't be excluded from this challenge, hopefully the "only one find per cache" rule can be implemented then to compensate for that.

I completely forgot about the adoption scenario for people logging their own caches (and I've even found some caches before I adopted them). Oops. I was implementing that rule mainly because I've always believed you should not log your own caches and I know in the past, some cache owners used to log a "found it" on their caches regularly instead of using owner maintenance log type (before HQ blocked that). Ok, please ignore this requirement if it's can't be easily implemented. Again, the 'one find per cache' rule reduces the stats "padding" for those owners who logged their own caches multiple times.

It sounds like the "only one find per cache" option is the critical one to be added and implemented for this challenge, and hopefully that's based on the first time found. But if that rule can't be enabled, there's probably nothing I can do about it either and I'll just have to live with it.

Please let me know what progress you make and I'll adjust my challenge accordingly.

Thank you again.

And a PS EDIT - thank you for finding an elegant solution for the negative age caches. :-)

Original Message

Author: sapien
Date: October 13, 2023 08:05AM

Re: Requesting a checker for GCAEV95
Thank you for the quick turnaround. I've tested the checker a few times and it looks good so far. I'll test further, as any other changes are made.

Firstly, whew! Thank you for figuring out why there's a difference between the numbers I was getting from the GC98CP4 checker and manually. I'm glad there was a logical explanation. That never even occurred to me though from the description. My bad.

As for your list of allowed cache types, I noticed GPS Adventure Exhibits are not part of it. Was that intentional, because they are "classified" as events? If so, I can add them to my exception list in my description. Ultimately the reason I excluded events from this challenge is because, in theory, their "hidden dates" and date found should be the same, making all them age zero and therefore irrelevant for this challenge.

I try to be explicit with all my challenges and always say I exclude adventure labs and benchmarks from them, I'm glad they are "auto" excluded.

I never thought about locationless caches though until you brought them up. I wasn't worried about the 3 recent ones (8FROG, 8NEAT, 9FAVE) because they could only be logged them once (as far as I know anyways) but could the original ones be logged multiple times? As long as they are only counted once, as per my other rule, I'm ok with allowing them. If that's not possible though, please exclude them. If there are any other gotcha(s) with them, please let me know.

I can wait till you find out about BMAFMJR before I add/don't add that to my challenge criteria list. The main reason I asked for that exclusion is because there are some travelling caches on that list which were found many, many times (500+) by some local cachers before they got archived. As a result, those caches would significantly add to their totals for this challenge given they are very old caches as well. I was just trying to keep it fair. But if BMAFMJR can't be excluded from this challenge, hopefully the "only one find per cache" rule can be implemented then to compensate for that.

I completely forgot about the adoption scenario for people logging their own caches (and I've even found some caches before I adopted them). Oops. I was implementing that rule mainly because I've always believed you should not log your own caches and I know in the past, some cache owners used to log a "found it" on their caches regularly instead of using owner maintenance log type (before HQ blocked that). Ok, please ignore this requirement if it's can't be easily implemented. Again, the 'one find per cache' rule reduces the stats "padding" for those owners who logged their own caches multiple times.

It sounds like the "only one find per cache" option is the critical one to be added and implemented for this challenge, and hopefully that's based on the first time found. But if that rule can't be enabled, there's probably nothing I can do about it either and I'll just have to live with it.

Please let me know what progress you make and I'll adjust my challenge accordingly.

Thank you again.