Advanced

Change History

New api methods will be announced here. Changes in our data that is relevant to checkers scripts/tags will also be announced here.

Changed By: magma1447
Change Date: May 07, 2021 12:30PM

IMPORTANT new polygon data
As you already know we are updating polygon data from time to time. Next time, will be a huge update, causing a lot of issues.

All the code behind polygons is being updated, it has been an ongoing project for [b]a year![/b] I am finally starting to see the end of things which leads me to this post. [b]All[/b] polygon data will be updated at the same time next time we update the data. We have already created the data for all countries but United Kingdom. The source is OpenStreetMap for all countries but Canada (where it's a mix of OSM and government census data). The plan is to use OSM data for UK as well, hopefully UK will be finished within a week.

Why a huge upgrade? There are three major reasons.
* Easier update path in the future.
* Improved code which wouldn't be very compatible with the old data.
* Maps in Profile stats can be made a [b]lot[/b] better looking. I will attach examples in a replay.

What's the issue? The issue is that there will be a lot of new names again. Not the least for some countries. I have written a tool that will list all the changes (linked below). Again, UK isn't ready, so ignore that for now. I will update the list once it is.

[b][url=http://1447.se/tmp/osmb-compare-new-polygon-names.htmlphp]List of changes[/url][/b]

Note that the changes aren't live yet, so don't use the new names yet. It will probably take at least a month more. UK needs to be fixed, I need to write Map-Regions and Map-Counties tools. Then there is quite a lot of old GIS code that needs to be replaced as well.

Any suggestions for how we best make sure that we update every (active) script and tag so that it matches the new names? I am thinking I could fix United States and Australia by a script that does search and replace. Both of those have very unique names on what's currently live, I can't imagine that should give any false positive hits.

Any suggestions of how we can prepare new scripts and tags without touching the live data yet? One way I have been thinking about is to export all the current data to GitLab.com where they can be edited. Then I can import from there when making the release, if they haven't been updated at PGC yet. I could also potentiallty just export it as "text" files and share a Google Drive folder. Easier to edit, no history(?), but harder to add users (I need to add them). I also don't know what restricts there are, like max number of users. Any better suggestions?
Changed By: magma1447
Change Date: April 21, 2021 03:10PM

As you already know we are updating polygon data from time to time. Next time, will be a huge update, causing a lot of issues.

All the code behind polygons is being updated, it has been an ongoing project for [b]a year![/b] I am finally starting to see the end of things which leads me to this post. [b]All[/b] polygon data will be updated at the same time next time we update the data. We have already created the data for all countries but United Kingdom. The source is OpenStreetMap for all countries but Canada (where it's a mix of OSM and government census data). The plan is to use OSM data for UK as well, hopefully UK will be finished within a week.

* Maps in Profile stats can be made a [b]lot[/b] better looking. I will attach examples in a replay.

What's the issue? The issue is that there will be a lot of new names again. Not the least for some countries. I have written a tool that will list all the changes (linked below). Again, UK isn't ready, so ignore that for now. I will update the list once it is.

[b][url=http://1447.se/tmp/osmb-compare-new-polygon-names.txthtml]List of changes[/url]
[/b]

Note that the changes aren't live yet, so don't use the new names yet. It will probably take at least a month more. UK needs to be fixed, I need to write Map-Regions and Map-Counties tools. Then there is quite a lot of old GIS code that needs to be replaced as well.

Any suggestions for how we best make sure that we update every (active) script and tag so that it matches the new names? I am thinking I could fix United States and Australia by a script that does search and replace. Both of those have very unique names on what's currently live, I can't imagine that should give any false positive hits.

Any suggestions of how we can prepare new scripts and tags without touching the live data yet? One way I have been thinking about is to export all the current data to GitLab.com where they can be edited. Then I can import from there when making the release, if they haven't been updated at PGC yet. I could also potentiallty just export it as "text" files and share a Google Drive folder. Easier to edit, no history(?), but harder to add users (I need to add them). I also don't know what restricts there are, like max number of users. Any better suggestions?

Original Message

Author: magma1447
Date: April 21, 2021 01:55PM

[url=http://1447.se/tmp/osmb-compare-new-polygon-names.txt]List of changes[/url]