Advanced

Change History

Topics that don't fit elsewhere, but still are related to challenge checkers.

Message: Re: HQ appeal about challenge cache local rules - help appreciated

Changed By: Hügh
Change Date: February 16, 2023 05:08AM

Re: HQ appeal about challenge cache local rules - help appreciated
Recall that the Guidelines are only [i]guidelines[/i]. They are only curated by Geocaching HQ in an attempt to help Reviewers be as consistent and impartial as possible for publications in their region. Reviewers are free to adapt and interpret guidelines however the situation demands.

In my experience, this particular interpretation:

[quote=Reviewer]
Challenge cache owners must demonstrate that there are plenty of [i]local[/i] qualifying caches to meet the challenge at the time of publication.
[/quote]

is one that a number of Reviewers that I've spoken with subscribe to. For instance, a friend tried to publish a "Find 100 Wherigo caches" Challenge, but was rejected because there were, at the time, only 120 Wherigos in the province. I have seen similar Challenges for numbers of attributes, D/T grids, etc. be rejected because of unavailability of qualifying caches in the region.

That said, your Reviewer's interpretation seems particularly strict. Given that Geocaching is a global location-based game, a complete ban on all Challenges requiring finds in foreign countries is certainly counterproductive.

I wish you the best of luck with your appeal.
Changed By: Hügh
Change Date: February 16, 2023 05:07AM

Recall that the Guidelines are only [i]guidelines[/i]. They are only curated by Geocaching HQ in an attempt to help Reviewers be as consistent and impartial as possible for publications in their region. However, Reviewers are free to adapt and interpret guidelines however the situation demands.

[quote=Reviewer]
Challenge cache owners must demonstrate that there are plenty of [i]local[/i] qualifying caches to meet the challenge at the time of publication.
[/quote]

is one that a number of Reviewers that I've spoken with subscribe to. For instance, a friend tried to publish a "Find 100 Wherigo caches" Challenge, but was rejected because there were, at the time, only 120 Wherigos in the province. I have seen similar Challenges for numbers of attributes, D/T grids, etc. be rejected because of unavailability of qualifying caches in the region.

That said, your Reviewer's interpretation seems particularly strict. Given that Geocaching is a global game, a complete ban on all Challenges requiring finds in foreign countries is counterproductive.

Original Message

Author: Hügh
Date: February 16, 2023 05:06AM

Recall that the Guidelines are only [i]guidelines[/i]. They are curated by Geocaching HQ in an attempt to help Reviewers be as consistent and impartial as possible for publications in their region. However, Reviewers are free to adapt and interpret guidelines however the situation demands.

[quote=Reviewer]
[/quote]

That said, your Reviewer's interpretation seems particularly strict. Given that Geocaching is a global game, a complete ban on all Challenges requiring finds in foreign countries is counterproductive.