Advanced

[Cancelled] GC2KDHT - 200 Traditionals with Less than 10 Finds in 1st Year (needs checker)

Hi all,

Looking for 2 similar checkers to be created. One for 200 caches, the other for 250 caches. Please see quoted information to understand requirements.

200 - https://coord.info/GC2KDHT
250 - https://coord.info/GC3T73X

This challenge is about getting out there and finding some rewarding traditional caches. I worked on this one this winter for a challenge in WA near my home (Subman). However, I have modified it to eliminate any race to get the cache in the first year of existence. You may find the cache at anytime it is still active, but the cache can not have more than 10 finds in it's first year of existence. I believe this will qualify more caches since you can find a cache after it's anniversary as long as it had 10 or less finds in it first year of existence.
I found this challenge interesting since it made me look at my cache selection. I was rewarded by these cache finds due to the locations they were placed and the effort it took to reach them. Some may take an off road vehicle or boat to reach and/or a hike.

To qualify for the find you must meet the following criteria:

1. You must find and sign 200 traditional caches.
2. The cache can have no more than 10 finds in it's first year of existence.
3. No cache published before January 1, 2009 will be accepted.
4. The cache must have been active for at least one year, if archived.
5. You must provide a list of caches to log the find.
6. You can not use your own caches.

I think I meet the requirements, but just in case, test either cachers:
flappjack99
Arizona Ranger Team
The Autobots

Thank you for your consideration. Any help is highly appreciated.
Re: GC2KDHT - 200 Traditionals with Less than 10 Finds in 1st Year (needs checker)
February 01, 2018 09:19PM
"2. The cache can have no more than 10 finds in it's first year of existence. "

This is not possible to check using user's own finds.
Re: GC2KDHT - 200 Traditionals with Less than 10 Finds in 1st Year (needs checker)
February 01, 2018 09:29PM
arisoft Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "2. The cache can have no more than 10 finds in
> it's first year of existence. "
>
> This is not possible to check using user's own
> finds.

There may be a misunderstanding, I'm going to try and rephrase.

You're checking a users found logs for only Traditionals (making an array of cacheID), then checking each of those caches (in the array) to see if there were ≤ 10 finds in the first year per cache.

Perhaps I do not understand the limitations per geocaching.com or perhaps LUA. However, I feel this should be possible. Might require parsing of information from logs per cache. Can Found logs, including date be grabbed from caches? If so, then limiting the range of found dates to be between the cache publication date + 1 year, should be doable. Only cache which have ≤ 10 find in 1 year can count towards the 200.

Thanks for your help and comments. Really appreciate it!
February 01, 2018 09:44PM
"Might require parsing of information from logs per cache."

There is no way to examine other user's finds. That is the problem.
February 01, 2018 10:01PM
arisoft Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "Might require parsing of information from logs
> per cache."
>
> There is no way to examine other user's finds.
> That is the problem.

I see, I'm understanding that there's no way to parse a cache webpage for found logs. This must be a LUA limitation or perhaps credential limitation, or webpage information.

I know scripts can be made to parse webpages for specific information (python for example).

For instance, there's isn't code written--nor could be written--that would find the 6 "Found It" logs on the following page.
https://coord.info/GC3V0M6

I'm seeing what might be the difficulty, might require post complete rendering of said cache page. Not sure if the "initalLogs" variable contains all logs.
February 01, 2018 10:55PM
From the "READ FIRST" thread:

What a checker can not do
* The checkers does not have access to logs from others on the geocaches logged. Therefore a challenge to log a geocaches that hasn't been logged for one year isn't possible. We are however looking into solving this in the near future (June is expected). Details are yet to be determined.

As far as I know, there has been no progress made on bringing that feature into the checker system. And it probably isn't high on ganja1447's priority list since these challenges are unlikely to be published under the new guidelines.
February 02, 2018 04:55PM
Thanks for the consideration and explanations. If this ever gets re-reviewed, I found two others to add to the list:

https://coord.info/GC2N6QC
https://coord.info/GC2KPE1
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login