Advanced

[Resolved] Challenge Checker for GC8NCM5: Avg "T" of >/= 2; 2000 min finds

[Resolved] Challenge Checker for GC8NCM5: Avg "T" of >/= 2; 2000 min finds
June 29, 2020 06:16PM
Hi, and in advance, thanks for the help.

I'm seeking a challenge checker for the following requirements:
MINIMUM FINDS: 2000
AVERAGE "T" Rating: 2.0 or higher.

Again, thanks,
X-Huey-Drv (aka John S.)
Re: Challenge Checker for GC8NCM5: Avg "T" of >/= 2; 2000 min finds
June 29, 2020 06:26PM
Firstly a note on what this checker is: it takes 2000 of your finds and check if the average T over those 2000 finds is 2.0 or higher. What this is not: an average over all your finds with a minimum of 2000 finds. Why? Because that would violate rule 14 of the challenge cache guidelines:

Positive Challenge Criteria: Not Acceptable: Not finding caches: design that limits or punishes any element of finding caches. Examples: Challenges that require ratios in finds; such as 10% of finds must be Attended logs, challenges that require finding only some particular type for over time, as 100 consecutive Mystery finds.

With that said, here's a checker for you:

https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC8NCM5/52520

Please test and let us know if it's suitable.
June 29, 2020 08:15PM
pieterix, thanks. You're fast!!!

Interesting. I didn't interpret the requirements as setting a ratio. My intent was to reward/recognize achievement of a geocaching goal based on "Challenge cache criteria must come from information broadly available on Geocaching.com and must be verifiable through information on Geocaching.com." (rule 10), i.e. Total Finds (from widely available cacher's profile) of >/= 2000 & "T" rating of >/= 2.0. (that recorded on the geocaching.com D/T stats matric) at time of logging cache.

Also, the history of the challenge is my own experience establishing and achieving a goal. When I had roughly 2800 caches, and a "T" rating of roughly 1.93, I was told about a challenge cache requiring a "T" of 2 or higher, so I purposefully sought higher "T" caches to reach an average of 2.0 to qualify.

The checker, as written, reflects I've attained a "T" of 2.8 which does not reflect, but exaggerates, what is annotated on the geocaching.com D/T matrix. The min finds could be raised to say in my case, 3000 - 4000; yet, to me the imposes an unrealistic, ego oriented Difficulty.

Is it possibly, using "the information comes from Geocaching.com" a "T" of 2.0 or higher based on the D/T matrix and have a minimum of 2000 caches?

I'm not attempting to circumnavigate, but to provide a cache that rewards those seeking adventure.
June 29, 2020 09:58PM
Unfortunately you need to follow ALL the rules in the guidelines, so you can't pick and choose which ones you want to follow. If you want the average to be over all your finds, it's definitely against rule 14. The reasoning is quite simply by an example: you work hard to attain the 2000 finds and the T average of 2 and at last you manage to get to 2.00000 but on the way to find your challenge cache you have to drive past all the lower T rating caches since they will drop your T average. Hence it's a negative criteria. I understand your reasoning but it's not allowed since it's a ratio and forbidden in rule 14.
June 29, 2020 11:16PM
First, I wasn't cherry picking. If that was interpreted as such, my apologies. It was to communicate the data I elected is widely available and verifiable on the governing site www,geocaching.com.

1. Can the challenge be based on a "Average Total" of 4.0 or higher? No mins necessary. Or again, it eliminates the person although they did qualify; yet, did not copy the results before leaving to sign the log, logs a mess of <2 caches?
* Total finds: 4272
* Average difficulty: 1.92
* Average terrain: 2.1
* Average total: 4.02
2. Can the checker simply be solely on the "T" from the matrix., i.e. no min number of caches? (my view of the "Driving Past" rebuttal is it's the individual's choice, not a restriction. I passed up a lot of caches to attain the "T" 2. The individual could, if they are apt at planning, run the checker and copy the results in the notes field as I and I'm sure others do.

I hope you understand my objective is to create a challenge that rewards or recognizes an difficult accomplishment.

Thanks for the consideration.
June 30, 2020 01:03AM
pieterix,

After doing some calculating and talking to others, I now get it. My understanding the requirements of challenges shall be such that future geocaching activity shall not cause the geocacher to then not qualify for the challenge or challenges of same requirements. I.e. although I have a "T" rating of 2.1 today, it'll drop if I decide a day, a week, a year or decade from now to do a power trail of a few thousand caches with a T1 ratings.
June 30, 2020 01:05AM
I'm satisfied. Thanks for the help and patience.
July 02, 2020 05:17AM
Why was this cancelled? Can I still use the checker created?
July 02, 2020 07:02AM
Corrected and moved to resolved
September 01, 2020 07:39AM
I was under the impression the Checker was based on the following: To qualify, a cacher must have a minimum of 2000 caches that (i.e. each of the 2000) have a Terrain rating of 2 or more.

A cacher (https://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=0b09a7e2-2584-491b-a14a-7ad0f7d95296) just informed me they have only 1,389 caches of T2 or higher. They do have more than 2,000 total caches and have a "Average Terrain" of "2.03".

Thanks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login