I have started working on the Country Badges for BadgeGen and the new version will feature all territories currently counted by GC HQ. However, I am running into the situation that there are territories listed as unique "states or countries" that are actually part of another country. Or that there are territories listed that don't have flag at all.
Before I am listing all the issues, I'd like to state my concern: We need help in deciding how to handle these cases. There will be no "universal" solution for all cases and you will see why. I'd like to use a regional flag where possible to distinguish the badges as best as I can (because having e.g. several French flags would look strange). But then there might be the question of which to use. What we want to avoid is any too political situation (like a revolutionary flag, or so) or any cultural offense. That's why we are asking for help.
I will post an overview of all issues and one seperate answer for each territory, so you can comment directly.
All French Overseas Territories are parts of France and offically use the French flag.
- Réunion: has several unofficial state and proposed flags, and an unoffical regional flag, which BadgeGen currently uses
- French Guiana: has an old flag, which is still used in sports
- Guadeloupe: has several unoffical flags, one regional flag (currently in use for BG)
- Martinique: there is a new flag used for sporting events, BG currently uses the old Coat of Arms
- Mayotte: has an unofficial flag, but used as state flag (current BG)
- Saint-Martin: has no flag at all
- Saint-Barthélemy: has an unofficial flag and is used
- Saint Pierre and Miquelon: has an unofficial flag, but none used
- Wallis and Futuna: has an unofficial flag and is used
- French Southern and Antarctic Territories (this one actually has a flag!)
- Heard Island and McDonald Islands: has no flag, uninhabitated
- United States Minor Outlying Islands: some islands have their own flags, but none as a group
- Bonaire, Sint Eustatius and Saba: Carribbean Netherlands, all three have their own flags, but none as a group, but they are grouped as a territory on GC.com
- Bouvet Island: has no flag, uninhabitated
- Svalbard and Jan Mayen: has no flag
ADDENDUM: I'm getting alerted to several countries that currently have a BadgeGen Badge, but showing no flag. It is most likely they are on the current list from HQ, which I am using. So these territories will get a proper badge. The reason they don't have one right now is that the territory has been added to the list after Kyle had provided the icons, which were never updated by PGC.
Thanks in advance for any input! :)
PS: Here is a Sneak Peek of the new Country Badges: