Advanced

Re: Checker Request - % of Favorite Points used

[Cancelled] Checker Request - % of Favorite Points used
July 04, 2017 10:40PM
Is it possible to have a checker to see if a geocacher has used a certain percentage of their Favorite Points?

See cache - GC44TTP - as a model.

Thanks,

- VPDJ
July 05, 2017 02:15AM
VPDJ,

That is a really interesting question.

From the guidelines
What is a challenge cache?

A challenge cache requires seekers to find an associated physical cache, and to find an additional set of geocaches as defined by the challenge owner. Challenge caches encourage geocachers to set and achieve fun goals. Examples of challenge caches: find a cache every day of the calendar year, or find one for every Difficulty/Terrain combination.

I can read this either way. Ultimately a reviewer would have to rule in.

From a technical perspective, the api available for checkers does not appear to have the information available. Also the cache you cited does not appear to have a checker either. So this might get postponed for technical reasons.

I'll be curious to see.
July 05, 2017 07:38AM
There is a function hidden in the API which provides this data. But I agree that it needs a reviewer to weigh in on whether it would be acceptable.

I think if there's any rejection it's likely to come from guideline 10:
  • Challenge cache criteria must be based upon caches with the seeker’s logs: Found it!, Attended, Webcam Photo Taken.
  • Challenge cache criteria must be based upon the type of log, not on the log content.
July 05, 2017 04:59PM
Please create the checker and I will work with the reviewer to get it published.

Favorite Points can only be put on Found It caches - and is not based upon the contents of the log entry - so I think that meets the criteria #10.

Thanks,

- VPDJ
July 05, 2017 08:27PM
While there is no requirement for this, some developers may prioritize their time based on their expectation of the challenge being accepted.

Coordinating with the reviewer ahead of time would mitigate this risk.
July 07, 2017 04:55AM
Contacted reviewer and awaiting feedback.
July 05, 2017 04:56AM
It should be an easy calculation - how many favorite points given divided by number of favorite points earned.

Favorite points earned could be roughly calculated based upon 10 per distinct finds (Physical - not Events / Webcams).

Here's hoping that it will be done... I would like to think it would encourage people to give out favorite points to the great caches out there.
July 10, 2017 07:09PM
I'm sorry but this challenge has an element of punishment in it. It forces cachers to ignore the caches with no or few favourite points to keep their everage up.
Please read the guidelines 2.9 on challenge caches

Not acceptable
Not finding caches: design that limits or punishes any element of finding caches. Examples: Challenges that require ratios in finds; such as 10% of finds must be Attended logs, challenges that require finding only some particular type for over time, as 100 consecutive Mystery finds.
July 10, 2017 07:56PM
You have mis-interpreted my request - it is not to FIND caches with high favorite points - it is for the cacher to GIVE OUT Favorite Points to deserving caches - thereby using up over 50% of their allotted Favorite Points.

The geocacher does not have to visit specific caches with high Favorite Points - nor do they have to give out Favorite Points to any specific cache - they just need to give them out.
July 10, 2017 08:00PM
Sorry, your wright, I was to quick to react but I was cleaning up the forum requests
July 16, 2017 09:59AM
If could be intrepid as punishing caches who only find alot of bad caches that don't deserve a FP.

The intention with the guideline as I understand them is that finding another cache should not put you farther away from achieving a challenge. This challenge will demand that you give away a FP for every 10 finds.

I like FP but not the idea to increase the chance that people give them away to complete a challenge. That might result in giving FP to random caches regardless of the quality and not only to a cache that you like. A similar unintended effect is that I suspect that long identical meaningless long on multiple caches are the result of the badge system. The author bade was intended for longer meaningful logs not copy and paste that it has resulted in.

I suspect that the reviewers what allow it but and it is because of guideline 10 as above

I think if there's any rejection it's likely to come from guideline 10:
Challenge cache criteria must be based upon caches with the seeker’s logs: Found it!, Attended, Webcam Photo Taken.
Challenge cache criteria must be based upon the type of log, not on the log content.
July 16, 2017 05:05PM
This challenge was rejected since giving Favorite Points away is not "a geocaching achievement" despite the fact that earning Favorite Points is based upon finding caches - and you cannot give away something you have not earned / achieved. (insert mad/sad face here)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login