Advanced

Re: Checker request GC7ZQW6

[Cancelled] Checker request GC7ZQW6
November 05, 2018 04:54AM
So, my previous challenge attempt was denied by the reviewer. I've redone the challenge and gone in a new direction while re-using the GC #. Not sure if that's the best way, or it's better to start over completely.

Anyway, here's the new challenge.

Thru-hiker challenge
To log this challenge, you'll need to find caches in contiguous US counties from the Mexico border to the Canada border. You must also find a cache in Mexico, and a cache in Canada. Your border counties may be anywhere along the respective borders, from Whatcom County Washington to Washington County, Maine on the Canada border and San Diego County, CA to Cameron County, TX on the Mexico border. Whatever path you use must pass through Butte County, CA.

Similar to this one https://coord.info/GC5948T BUT must have (1) find each in Mexico and Canada, and string of contiguous counties must pass through Butte County, CA. Rules on what constitutes contiguous are borrowed from GC5948T, so the rules built in to that checker will work.

Thanks!
November 05, 2018 05:23AM
You might want to check with your reviewer. Last I'd heard, there were issues getting contiguous-county/state challenges published due to inconsistent interpretations of contiguity causing some confusion.
November 06, 2018 05:01AM
Thanks, sumbloke. Your understanding remains correct. I just double-checked the guidance provided to Community Volunteer Reviewers to confirm this.
November 07, 2018 12:53AM
Thanks for the feedback. I am awaiting the verdict from my reviewer. Is this guidance public? It might help me to avoid submitting challenge ideas that will get denied if I had that info up front, but maybe it's only for the reviewers.

So, I'm wondering if there is any way a challenge could be done by requiring a path of counties from Mexico to Canada. I suppose I could specify the counties (for example, along I-5 or along the Pacific Crest Trail) but it seems like a better challenge to leave this unspecified. I know it was possible not so very long ago, but maybe it changed because the details proved to be a source of confusion and trouble.

Thanks in advance for your response.
November 09, 2018 06:46PM
still no response from reviewer.

I'm in limbo. No checker because I need to get pre-approval from reviewer. Reviewer won't respond. Can't submit for review because there is no checker.
November 09, 2018 09:43PM
Sorry, I forgot to say clearly in my prior response that I am a Community Volunteer Reviewer. I gave you the answer based on written guidance provided to all reviewers. You should receive the same answer from your local reviewer, but you're welcome to try! ;)

I see the reviewer note you left on your cache page. Did you also email your reviewer? Because your cache page is disabled, your reviewer doesn't see it pending in their review queue, and would not know to check. Either submit your page so it shows up in the queue, or email your reviewer with a link to your disabled cache page.
November 09, 2018 11:41PM
I think my problem might have been the reviewer note. I created a challenge, it was denied. I then reworked the challenge into this Thru hiker concept and got no response. I did try emailing directly as well, but I'm not sure if my communication is not effective, or I'm being a pest or both. I archived that cache and created a new one, explaining the situation in the reviewer note. If it's no-go, it's no-go.

I do wonder why that information doesn't make it into the challenge guidance help page at the same time? I don't like sending challenges to be denied anymore than our volunteers probably like denying them. I've got some of the guidelines available to me, but clearly not all. Anyway, I'm new to challenges and will figure this all out one way or another.

Thanks much for the guidance!
November 09, 2018 11:41PM
This cache was archived, so the thread can be moved. Thanks!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login