Advanced

Re: GC80B6E - The Diamond Author Challenge - Checker requested

[Cancelled] GC80B6E - The Diamond Author Challenge - Checker requested
November 14, 2018 09:56PM
Good evening Ladies and Gents,

kindly ask you to create a checker for log length words.
The checker should easier based on the log length or if the Diamond BadgeGen of the category The Author is existing.
I would prefer the log length proved at the project-gc page.

Have also another idea in my mind but don´t know if workable.
What would happen in case of an 360° Challenge on our island and 346° has no present cache. Would the system take 346 as found due to the fact of no present cache ? Do you have the chance to check this 360° on same coords as mentioned under GC80B6E ?

Many thanx your assistance and regard from ruegen island.

Greetz Thomas
November 14, 2018 11:13PM
Unfortunately, neither of these ideas is allowed under the current guidelines.

The log length one is disallowed by guideline 10:

• Challenge cache criteria must come from information broadly available on Geocaching.com and must be verifiable through information on Geocaching.com.
  • Challenge cache criteria must be based upon the type of log, not on the log content.

360 degree challenges are disallowed under guideline 10 as well:
Not acceptable
Challenges based on geographic areas other than countries, states/provinces, counties (or their local equivalent). For example, user-defined mapping polygons, latitude/longitude, radius, etc.
November 18, 2018 12:07AM
Hej sumbloke,

many thanx your fast reaction even if the outcome is not satisfying for now.

Found meanwhile an older treat from you with the same request.
Maybe i can change your mind with following argument. You said that the Challenge cache criteria must be based upon the type of log, not on the log content. I totally agree with you but the AUTHOR badge is given for quantity of words and not for content. Nobody will check what the users wrote, even your system project-gc is just counting the words by an easy "stri len algorithm". This would also mean there is no violation of the guidelines.

If you now still have a problem with the available proof via the geocaching.com-site i´m sure to be able to convince you also refering to a lot of recently published challenges. Your assistance by finding the proof on geocaching.com for these checkers would be much appreciated.

Hope my reply above is not too saucy and direct us to the same opinion.

Many thanx your time and positive feedback.

Greetz Thomas
November 18, 2018 12:51AM

If you now still have a problem with the available proof via the geocaching.com-site i´m sure to be able to convince you also refering to a lot of recently published challenges. Your assistance by finding the proof on geocaching.com for these checkers would be much appreciated.

I would like to see those recently published challenges allowing this kind of challenge.
November 18, 2018 07:57AM
8SüdsuchA
You said that the Challenge cache criteria must be based upon the type of log, not on the log content. I totally agree with you but the AUTHOR badge is given for quantity of words and not for content. Nobody will check what the users wrote, even your system project-gc is just counting the words by an easy "stri len algorithm". This would also mean there is no violation of the guidelines.

To count the number of words in the log, we need to know the content of the log. Therefore, that challenge cache is disallowed. In case you don't believe me, here's an (basic) example of how the word-counting works:
log_content.split(/\s/g).length

8SüdsuchA
Maybe i can change your mind with following argument.

We don't think that your challenge follows the guidelines. To be honest, you're really not trying to convince us - you need to convince your local reviewer that your challenge follows the guidelines. If your reviewer says it's OK, then we'll happily make one for you.
November 20, 2018 11:27PM
Hello,

just received an feedback from the reviewer sherrlock that i should add the checker to my listing in order to review the cache. Based on above i kindly ask you to create the checker and the reviewer will make final decision.

Many Thanx in advance.

Greetz Thomas
November 21, 2018 12:59AM
To stop this discussion I will issue a checker for you https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC80B6E/38476

But I am sure that HQ will archive the cache when published
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login