Advanced

Re: Can a checker use the "Advance Search"?

[Cancelled] Can a checker use the "Advance Search"?
November 18, 2016 03:10PM
Please forgive me if I use the wrong terms for stuff, I'm not really sure what an API is or does. My girlfriend and I are hoping to make a challenge but not sure if this is possible.

Is it possible for a checker to run a query using the Advanced Search feature on Geocaching.com?

For example
Region = Vermont, United States. Cache Type = "Virtual". Not Found By = the user to check.
if the result comes back with 0 "Oh No! DNF" then the checker says successful

I hope that makes sense, but if not, please ask for more info

Link to that using my account

https://www.geocaching.com/play/search?origin=Vermont,+United+States&ot=1&g=46&types=4&nfb[0]=outsiders2&f=2

Link to the same but with my boyfriend's account

https://www.geocaching.com/play/search?origin=Vermont,+United+States&ot=1&g=46&types=4&nfb[0]=The%20Blue%20Quasar

Basically, can a checker be made to use a link like those but the user name be variable? If the result comes back as a "0 results Oh No! DNF!" then they have found all of the virtuals in Vermont (as an example)
November 18, 2016 03:50PM
No the checker has not access to external websites. It has only access some request to the database on pgc
You can read it if you are interested at http://project-gc.com/doxygen/lua-sandbox/classPGC__LUA__Sandbox.html
That will give all your finds and the numbers of cacher in an area

You could do a checker that looks if you have found all virtual caches in Vermont. The problem is that i doubt that you will be allow to publish it
read "12. All or Percentage of caches" rule in the guidelins https://support.groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=206

There are today 8 active virtual caches in Vermont. You could perhaps do a challenge that require that you have logged 4 victuals in Vermont. I would as your local reviewer what is a resonable amount.
A easy way to do that is by creating a listing for the challenge. Send it to the reviewer without a checker and ask if the number you have it is is ok. And then ask for a checker.
November 18, 2016 04:21PM
Vermont is only used as an example. Basicly the point is to find a State or Province in Canada or the US where they have found all the live virtual caches.
November 19, 2016 03:28PM
I would first ask a reviewer it is not oblivious that it is allowed. I suspect it will not be
But if it is allowed a checker i possible. I suspect that new code is needed
April 26, 2017 05:45PM
The Blue Quasar

Did you get your questioned answered? Please let us know so we can close this issue.

The short answer is the project gc interface allows a great amount of manipulation of users finds. To a lesser degree we can query information about other caches including oldest and favorites. However all of this is done internally on project gc copy of the data. Many checkers do stuff beyond what advanced search can do.

If your still unsure, review the guidelines, post your idea to the forum. If it is unclear if it is allowed you'll likely be told so or referred to a reviewer.
Of technically not feasible you'll be told why.
If technically easy, it will likely be quick.
If technically hard or difficult to reuse it might sit a while until a volunteers feels interested enough.

You may also trigger a negotiation to shape your goal.

But please let us know if we can close this.
May 01, 2017 02:27AM
From what I've been told by a Lackey, it may be possible for Project-GC to use their API in order to run an "Advance Search" on Geocaching.com but they were not sure.

It sounds to me that Project-GC can only run requests against their own copy of the database/player logs. As such my request cannot be met. I am satisfied with that, though it is unfortunate since in my non-teckie head it seems like a simple operation if I can do it from my own player account quickly. Oh well.
May 01, 2017 12:49PM
Lackey is correct and this is exactly what Target said before on November 19, 2016 but you never gave any feedback about the feasability of such a challenge is allowed by your local reviewer

Please get some feedback before a script writer is going to spend time on this
the guidelines state: http://support.groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=206#percentageOfCaches
12. All or Percentage of caches
Not Acceptable : Finding all or any percentage of the caches, or of a cache type, rating, or other allowable value within a specified area
May 02, 2017 04:17AM
Yup, you are right.

As a reviewer I took it to a group of other reviewers and was told unanimously that this could not be published since each of the 60 lists would not be published individually, so bundled together doesn't change that.

Thanks again, feel free to close the topic.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login