Advanced

Re: GC9K1DD - Checker request: distance plus attribute

[Cancelled] GC9K1DD - Checker request: distance plus attribute
May 20, 2022 10:14PM
Hi all,

I have an idea to create a challenge for which geocachers need to have found at least 10 caches. Each respective cache is located 0-10km, 10-20km, 20-30km, etc from their home location ánd need to contain a certain attribute. At first I had 'home location' replaced by 'the center of Amsterdam' but that is not allowed according to the Reviewers. When I proposed to change 'Amsterdam' to 'home location' they thought this could work and asked me to request a checker for this. So here we go: the Challenge is completed when at least 1 Geocache is found with the following requirements:

0-10km from home location; attribute 'short hike'
10-20km from home location; attribute 'livestock nearby'
20-30km from home location; attribute 'may require swimming'
30-40km from home location; attribute 'bicycles'
40-50km from home location; attribute 'snowmobiles'
50-60km from home location; attribute 'public transportation nearby'
60-70km from home location; attribute 'off-road vehicles'
70-80km from home location; attribute 'horses'
80-90km from home location; attribute 'boat required'
90-100km from home location; attribute 'significant hike'

Do you think this could work? Thanks so much for your help.

Elmer
May 20, 2022 11:44PM
What a checker can not do
* The checkers do not have access to the user's home coordinates. Challenges are not allowed to be based upon them either, and haven't been allowed to for several years. This is a matter of integrity.

In other words your challenge criteria is not allowed
May 21, 2022 09:46AM
Hi Vogelbird,

Thanks for your quick reply. Your argument totally makes sense, but I'm kind of surprised that the Reviewer in question did not mention this himself. This still leaves me kinda in doubt whether or not this is possible/allowed. Furthermore, I found another checker that does seem to check the home coordinates; but only when that user is logged in to project-gc.com:

https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC1VGM7/20360

Do you think this script can be re-used and altered to match the criteria of my proposed Challenge?

Sorry, don't mean to be stubborn, just trying to figure this out.

Thanks once again for your effort.
May 21, 2022 08:43PM
The quote challenge GC1VGM7 - Challenge #093 1000 km from home has a checker made by me and the cache even found by me but that does not mean the challenge criteria are allowed now-a-days. At this time, challenge caches published prior to April 21, 2015 are legacy caches in the game.

You criteria woud not be allowed by your reviewer as it violates https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=127&pgid=206#criteria

Not acceptable
Challenges based on geographic areas other than countries, states/provinces, counties (or their local equivalent). Examples: user-defined mapping polygons, latitude/longitude, radius, etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2022 08:45PM by vogelbird. (view changes)
May 21, 2022 11:39PM
Dankjewel Vogelbird. That makes total sense. Back to the drawing board. Let's archive this request.

Thanks very much for your effort!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login