Advanced

Re: Distance to Finds

[Cancelled] Distance to Finds
February 05, 2017 05:15PM
Hi! I inquired about this once before, but maybe did not explain correctly so I thought I'd try again. I have wanted to try and publish a 'Distance to Finds' challenge where the cacher would need to have at least one cache found in each of the 12 different line items in their public profile under the 'Distance to Finds' category. For example, the <1mi category, the 1mi to 10mi category...through the >7500 mi category. I know you can't use/ask for their home location, and from the public profile information the 'Find Nearest' and 'Find Farthest' categories ony show distance, not the cache name or GC code. Since all the detail is there already, I thought this might be a simple request to parse - not sure as I've never tried to make a checker on my own. Feel free to check my GC Profile to see that I would in fact qualify for such a challenge if it were 'legal' to put something like this together.
February 05, 2017 05:31PM
Please read http://project-gc.com/forum/read?8,13 READ FIRST

What a checker can not do
* The checkers does not have access to the user's home coordinates. Challenges are not allowed to be based upon them either, and haven't been allowed to for several years. This is a matter of integrity.

So the information is not available in the API for the checkers
February 07, 2017 01:09PM
Hi vogelbird,

I did read that. Since everyone can see in your 'public profile' and the caches found in the Distance to Finds fields there, I assumed there might be a way to parse that data without reviling (or asking for) the user's home coordinates. The Distance to Finds does not provide details on closet or farthest from 'home' for the exact reasons you sight above. The challenge would not be based on where someone lives, it would in essence be equivalent to asking if they have all varieties of cache types.
February 07, 2017 02:41PM
There is now way to parse what you see. The challenge checkers works with raw data and a challenge are not allowed to be based on home location. Such challenge that you suggest will not be possible/allowed.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login