Advanced

Re: Checker Request for GCA99JQ

[Awaiting feedback] Checker Request for GCA99JQ
May 29, 2023 02:47AM
Hi -

I need a checker for my new Challenge Cache, GCA99JQ, "The Lisa Loopner Challenge".

To qualify, one must have a "Loopner Number" >/= 1.

The "Loopner Number" is calculated as:

Loopner Number = [# DT Grid Loops You Have (lowest # in your grid) ] * 1000 / [Number of caches you have found] (excluding lab caches). Round number down to nearest integer. ≥1 means qualified for Challenge.

I qualify for the challenge; my Loopner Number is 1 (4 loops, 3687 finds, not including labs = 4*1000/3687= 1.08 ( integer 1).

Thanks in advance, Cats4us/John
May 29, 2023 03:47AM
I suspect that this challenge is not publishable under the current Challenge Cache Guidelines:

Challenge Cache Guidelines - Section 14: Positive Challenge Criteria

NOT ACCEPTABLE
Not finding caches: design that limits or punishes any element of finding caches. Examples: Challenges that require ratios in finds; such as 10% of finds must be Attended logs, challenges that require finding only some particular type for over time, as 100 consecutive Mystery finds.
May 29, 2023 06:12PM
I don’t think it limits or punishes finds. It certainly doesn’t require a certain type of cache or a streak of certain types of caches. I think it is positive in that it promotes filling the DT grid more times, and what could be wrong with that? I guess it’s time to seek a reviewer’s opinion..

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/29/2023 06:13PM by Cats4us. (view changes)
May 29, 2023 07:39PM
Finding more caches decreases your score, which "punishes" an element of finding caches.

Perhaps it would've been better if I had highlighted this part:

Challenge Cache Guidelines - Section 14: Positive Challenge Criteria

NOT ACCEPTABLE
Not finding caches: design that limits or punishes any element of finding caches. Examples: Challenges that require ratios in finds; such as 10% of finds must be Attended logs, challenges that require finding only some particular type for over time, as 100 consecutive Mystery finds.

Indeed, your Challenge requires a D/T-loops-to-finds ratio of 0.001 and thus is not publishable.
May 29, 2023 06:36PM
This one for sure punishes finds and is not publishable. No question if it is... A higher number of finds by geocacher makes this one harder to fullfill. That is simply not allowed.
June 19, 2023 04:19AM
That's a poor criteria. It's a Challenge. High # finders can simply find a few more selected caches to loop the number of times required. Not all cachers can qualify for all Challenges; if we continue to lower the bar like this we might as well do away with Challenges entirely.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login