Advanced

Re: GC7CT86 (not published) - find out top 5 oldest caches

[Resolved] GC7CT86 (not published) - find out top 5 oldest caches
October 03, 2017 09:52PM
Hi,

I am looking for a challenge-checker to find the oldest five still active caches of a list of cache-types (Traditional, Multi, Unknown, Letterbox, Wherigo, Earthcache, Virtual) in a state of germany (Saarland). The target is to gain 75 of 99 possible points with these rules:

- the oldest cache of each type counts 5 points, the second oldest 4 points etc.
- all cache types must have at least 1 point
- because there are only 2 old Virtuals in Saarland and I want to exclude the new Virtual Rewards, caches must be placed before 2015 (or this category limited to the two oldest caches)
- if a cacher is cache owner of one of the required caches, this cache should count as "found"

an easy way woul be to have a list of caches by gc-numbers and the associated points. in this case it would be necessary to adjust the checker every time a cache from this list is archived.

important: webcam is not required because there has never been a webcam cache in Saarland.

Is there an existing challenge checker I can use for these ideas? I found some checkers that can find out certain parts of the requirements. If not, is there an introduction of how to code challenge checkers? I am cache owner of two existing "old" challenges and wrote checkers for these caches by analyzing the user's uploaded myfounds.gpx with php ... maybe learning to code in Lua isn't that hard ;-)

thanks in advance
October 04, 2017 02:01PM
I can write a new script for this challenge.
October 04, 2017 03:46PM
Here is the checker for testing: https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC7CT86/29123

The needed score is now 75 points and can be easily adjusted according to your needs.
October 04, 2017 04:09PM

- because there are only 2 old Virtuals in Saarland and I want to exclude the new Virtual Rewards, caches must be placed before 2015 (or this category limited to the two oldest caches)

This option is still missing from the script. I'm not sure whether this is a permissible condition. I suggest you to consult with your local reviewer about this matter.
October 04, 2017 05:34PM
Or simply exclude virtuals from this challenge?
October 04, 2017 05:39PM
Easiest way is to add 6 points (1+2+3) to the required score to compensate new virtuals.
October 04, 2017 06:20PM
Hey, thank you very much, great work -- and very fast too! :-)

I'm gonna ask my local reviewer if the rule with the new Virtual Rewards corresponds to the guidelines and i'll give you feedback here asap.

thanks for your efforts :-)
October 06, 2017 04:13PM
Hi,

after a short discussion with the reviewer, we decided to treat all cache types the same way. This means for the checker: it is perfect now as it currently is. But i have one last little wish: because the amount of possible points a cacher can receive is a little bit higher now, i would like to increase the target points by 5 to 80 (what was your suggestion a few days ago). could you please change this value for me?

thanks again for the great job! :-)
October 07, 2017 01:53PM
Hi,

I forgot to mention the name of the cache .. it will be "Saarland Classics Challenge". Could somebody please change it? And (see last post) the value for "score" should be 80 now. Or ... is there a way for me as the cache owner to change this stuff by myself?

thanks and have a niche week-end! :-)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login