Advanced

Re: Checker needed: 111 Souvenirs or more

[Resolved] Checker needed: 111 Souvenirs or more
January 01, 2019 05:07PM
Hi there,

I would kindly ask for a checker for my upcoming cache GC81XC9 - Challenge "111 Souvenirs".
In order to fulfill the requirements of the challenge, a cacher is required to possess 111 or more souvenirs in his personal cacher statistics.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Cheers
Hirschkaefer
January 01, 2019 05:59PM
Here is the link to the checker https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC81XC9/39239

Please test and reply
January 02, 2019 02:08AM
Just a point of note - and an issue that has come to light a lot recently
it is possible for a cacher to obtain many dozens of souvenirs (probably over 200 in fact) without actually finding any caches - logging finds on caches in countries that have souvenirs and even states/counties that have those too and then deleting those logs - results in the cacher not showing finds in those countries as obviously that person does not have genuine finds in those countries - however all the souvenirs obtained by logging those finds remain on the account - thus any checker would identify the required number but does not cross check against whether there are any finds in those countries or on the relevant days (for date related souvenirs such as the 31 days in August series or the end of year/beginning of year souvenirs)
A frustrating issue as it so very easy to get to the qualification point with these challenges without doing anything
I know there will be a counter argument that all challenge caches can be 'cheated' - however with others such as number based challenges - if logs are deleted the count DOES go down and so these can be questioned (the CO cross checking with the checker as an example) - with the souvenir challenges if the CO cross checks with the checker even after deleted logs it will show 'qualified' even though they shouldn't
It does mean that the CO would not know whether a claimant has actually genuinely obtained the souvenirs unless they go into their acount and checks the country finds status - but should not need to do that if there is a checker as that is what it is there for.
Food for thought
Tim
January 02, 2019 02:13PM
Hi there,

@Vogelbird:
> Here is the link to the checker https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC81XC9/39239
> Please test and reply

Thanks for providing a script that quick. I tested it an it does exactly what I want, which is great.
I have a request, though: looking at the lua source code of the script, I realized that each souvenir is individually listed, characterized by its unique GUID. This means however, that the script counts currently exisiting souvenirs only, correct? Which also means that any future, upcoming souvenirs won't be counted by the script!? I guess this is by design and cannot be overcome?
Anyway, I'm glad that I have this checker and will use it in my listing. Thanks again for authoring.

@Deepdiggingmole
> A frustrating issue as it so very easy to get to the qualification point
> with these challenges without doing anything

Thanks for pointing that out, I wasn't aware of this. Good to know the limitations revealed by you.

> I know there will be a counter argument that all challenge caches can be 'cheated'

Geochaing is a game, and cheating does not do real harm to others. So if someone needs to cheat, let him cheat. I he feels happy afterwards, let him feel happy.
If someone stole a christmas tree, sits beside the tree and sings "Joy to the world", let him do.

For me Geocaching is primarily having fun and not an issue of numbers. And I'm not the kind of person that would like as Geocaching sheriff. so I will make use of the script in my listing, despite of its deficencies. If someone feels like he could provide an enhancent version of the script: welcome.

Just my personal view thanks for your input.

Regards
Hirschkaefer
January 02, 2019 06:48PM
You don't have to worry about new souvenirs because they are added to the list when they are published
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login