Advanced

Re: Checker Required for GC8GDQ6 (Most Liked Caches in Geographical Area)

[Resolved] Checker Required for GC8GDQ6 (Most Liked Caches in Geographical Area)
November 27, 2019 08:57AM
Hi everyone,

I've created a challenge to find the most-favourited caches in Doha and would love if a checker could be written to I may publish.

The challenge is to find all non-premium, active caches in Doha, Qatar that have 3 or more faviourite points. This sounds low, but Doha has a tiny caching community and is currently only 12 caches.

The criteria is as follows:
- Any cache type
- Must be active
- Must be basic, not-premium
- within 16km radius of the geographical centre of Doha.
- Must exclude the challenge cache from the checker if it happens to pick up 3+ favourite points.

The search below reveals the current list of caches in the challenge (10 traditional, 1 virtual, 1 earth) all of which I have found and logged.

www.geocaching.com/play/map?ot=city&st=doha&lat=25.27932&lng=51.52245&r=16&u=metric&zoom=12&sort=favoritepoint&asc=False&sd=0&sp=0&fp=3

Hopefully this covers everything, but this is my first challenge cache so please let me know if more is needed.

Many Thanks!
November 27, 2019 12:27PM
There are two problems in your criteria which need to be resolved

a} within 16km radius of the geographical centre of Doha.
This criteria is not allowed, You have to select the boundary area given in the regional map.
Exanple : The regions Ad Dawhah, Umm Salal, Ar Rayyan and Al Wakrah

b) Must be basic, not-premium
We have to investigate if we can switch off the premium caches.
Because the question was never raised there is no script with this feature.
November 27, 2019 01:45PM
Hi - these are both fine and thanks for flagging.

a) I was not aware we could do this as a regional map boundary, which is actually idea. The 16km radius is what I arbitrarily set up to roughly capture the Doha region. We can set to Ad Dawhah and get the correct result.

b) If this is too much trouble/time, then content to include premiums. The idea of having basic only was only to be more inclusive.... I can live without.
November 27, 2019 02:32PM
May I do another suggestion on the conditions because you do not fulfill you own challenge

Condition : Find from the top 10 caches 80%

The list of caches in Ad Dawhah at the moment is
# gccode points Name
1 GCHTRV 53 Not the Golden Arch!
2 GC456TP 20 Horse & Falcon Souq
3 GC17MT3 16 Dahl Al-Hammam
4 GC2M50H 9 Porto Arabia @ "The Pearl"
5 GC55TW7 7 OTHH - Hamad International Airport
6 GC8143Y 3 view of the Souq
7 GC5Z2G1 3 Katara 2. Still under the radar!
8 GC4VC8R 3 Oryx Rotana
9 GC81AFD 3 three trees
10 GC1BJXG 2 Doha Airport Bridge

Here is what the checker will look like https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC8GDQ6/46863
The set up is
"excludeDisabled": true, "excludeArchived": true, "includeOwned":true, "excludedGcCode":{"GC8GDQ6":"" }
November 28, 2019 06:15AM
It seems that the 12 caches KayTeeAy mentioned refer to the 16km radius rather than the Ad Dawhah restriction. This affects three 3-FP caches that would be in the 16km region but not in the radius which causes her to not fulfill the challenge according to the checker:

GC1PHER (Challenger), GC45VRW (A glimpse into Old Qatar) and GC23WM6 (Technology Cache)

As I understand the original request, the list is supposed to be updated when another cache hits 3FP (and then require one more find). I think this would then violate rule 12 of the guidelines ("Finding all or any percentage of the caches, or of a cache type, rating, or other allowable value within a specified area") while vogelbird's suggestion would not as it will always require a fixed number of finds, eight in this example.

The non-premium restriction is actually quite interesting... There have been numerous challenges of this kind and there's always the possibility that suddenly the most favorited caches (or also the oldest caches for other scripts) in any region include so many premium caches that you can not fulfill the challenge anymore as a basic user (without external help at least) which would then maybe violate rule 8 ("Challenges specifically excluding any segment of cachers.")? After a quick search I think this has never been mentioned yet...
November 28, 2019 08:17AM
PattuX a 16 km radius is not allowed as mentioned in rule 10.
November 28, 2019 09:24AM
Thanks for this -- really appreciate the help. I'll change the challenge to fit in with Vogelbird's description and use the checker linked above.

Best,
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login