Advanced

[Resolved] GC8KT41 (And More) Wheirgo/Earthcache/Virtual Challenge

[Resolved] GC8KT41 (And More) Wheirgo/Earthcache/Virtual Challenge
February 22, 2020 07:55AM
Hello!

I apologize for the flood of requests, but we are creating a new “Challenge Trail” of sorts. There are a total of 13 different challenges, each with a “Bronze”, “Silver”, and “Gold” level, for a total of 39 checkers needed.

Since the “Bronze”, “Silver”, and “Gold” are basically the same checker validation with slightly different criteria, I am including them all in this post. Please let me know if I should create separate posts for every GC code

To the best of my knowledge, I have qualified for each challenge submitted.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

For this request, geocachers must find Wherigo, Earthcache, and Virtual caches. Each find counts as 1 "Point". If the find is in the State of Georgia (United States), they would receive 2 points for that find. They can make the finds in any combination of the three cache types.

Here are the caches/levels

GC8KT3W- Bronze - 10 points
GC8KT3Y - Silver - 200 points
GC8KT40 - Gold - 500 points
Re: GC8KT41 (And More) Wheirgo/Earthcache/Virtual Challenge
February 22, 2020 09:30AM
February 23, 2020 03:09AM
The checker on this appears to be properly determining if geocachers have completed the requirements for this cache.

The only question I have is whether the checker output could be modified a bit. I think it's a bit confusing as is.

This is what it looks like currently:

187 POINTS
97 User has 97 finds (0 needed).Filters:( types (Wherigo Cache , Earthcache , Virtual Cache) )
90 User has 90 finds (0 needed).Filters:( region:Georgia , types (Wherigo Cache , Earthcache , Virtual Cache) , country:United States)

187 is the correct number of points.

I think it would be better if it displayed as follows:

180 Points: 90 Earth, Wherigo, Virtual caches in Georgia
7 points: 7 Earth Wherigo, Virtual, not in Georgia
Total Points: 187 (FAIL)

Can the output be changed?

Thanks!

GMT!!
February 23, 2020 03:17AM
The problem with that arises in that there's no way to specify: NOT Georgia USA, since Georgia and USA are two separate filters. Yes, I can exclude Georgia from the first line, but that will exclude any region named Georgia in another country. If I exclude Georgia AND USA in the first line, it'll exclude all finds from USA. Hence the solution I devised to let the user get the bonus points for Georgia finds. However, if you want finds for this challenge to be limited to USA only, I can change the checker as requested, so let me know.
February 23, 2020 03:25AM
I apologize if this is a dumb question, as I don't know anything about how the checkers work....

Can you do this via Math?

Can you determine the total number of Earth, Virtual, and Wherigos found in Georgia? (G)
Can you then determine the total number of Earth, Virtual, and Wherigos (T)

Can you then display the Total number of Georgia caches and multiply by 2? (So, G x 2)
Can you derive the total non-Georgia ones by taking the total (T) and subtract the Georgia ones (G) (So, T-G)?

Can that be done?

Thanks!

GMT!
February 23, 2020 03:34AM
Do you want finds for this challenge to be limited to USA only? If so, I can easily split out Georgia.
February 23, 2020 03:44AM
You may disregard my last question. I've adjusted the checkers to split between GA USA, USA (not GA) and rest of the world. Please test and let us know?
February 23, 2020 03:51AM
This is great!! The checker is now working as I expect!

Thanks for the "out of the box" thinking and quick response!

GMT!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login