Advanced

Re: Script request but not for a challenge

[Resolved] Script request but not for a challenge
September 03, 2021 11:29PM
Hi there - I'm not sure if this is the right forum but I thought I'd start here. Please feel free to forward this to the right forum if necessary.

Is there any way to get a script written, that is not for a challenge? I asked Groundspeak and they referred me to you (Project-GC).

I'm trying to get some data (a list of finders for a bunch of my caches) for another cache of mine (a traditional though) that I want to publish. Is there any way to collect that data, other than manually? I want the script to list Person(s) X found y # of these caches, etc, etc. I want to be able to add more caches to the cache list too, as I publish more of them. I'm sure the script can be written but will it be, if it's not for a challenge? And how can I "manage" it afterwards so that the list of caches can be modified as necessary? (Perhaps the script could prompt for the list of caches each time it's run?) The script doesn't have to be run by the users anyways, just me whenever I need it to update the information listed in the description of my traditional cache.

Could I/am I allowed to learn how to write scripts like this on my own? I would be fine with that (plus it's a good way to learn the language). I just know long term wise, a script would still be faster than doing this manually.

Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
September 03, 2021 11:56PM
Are you sure you need a checker for this? Since you're not allowed to put a checker on a traditional I assume you just want the data and if you just want the data you could just use the Top Finders top list with the filter Bookmark list to see a top list based on that Bookmark list. Wouldn't that give you the data you need?

Top list can be found here: https://project-gc.com/Statistics/Top
The Bookmark list filter is in the "Add filter"-drop down. Click the blue person/pen icon to fill in your username and then click "Get" to fetch your bookmark list, select the bookmark list you want and then click filter to get the top list.

If you want to be a script writer instructions are in the FAQ: https://project-gc.com/Home/FAQ#2616943827
September 04, 2021 05:46AM
That's awesome! That's pretty much exactly the information I'm looking for. I didn't know those kinds of stats were available on Project-GC and so customizable. Thank you!

I wish the data could be exportable in some way but I'm not complaining; I'll take what I can get. :-) Thank you for your help. You are welcome to close this request now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login