Advanced

Re: Change required for GCA1WC6

[Resolved] Change required for GCA1WC6
November 21, 2022 07:38AM
I have had a request from the reviewer for a change to this checker: https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GCA1WC6/72713

The checker for these challenges must include archived geocaches too. Which in practice means that any geocache (in this case for each of the types specified) published before the 5th in the respective list was published, must count also.

This was the original criteria:

To qualify for this challenge, you must have found at least one of the five oldest active caches in Australia for seven of the following eight types:

Traditional
Unknown
Multi
Earthcache
Wherigo
Letterbox Hybrid
Virtual
Webcam (note: there are only four active webcams in Australia)

In addition, you must have found twelve of these caches in total.

Can this checker please be updated to allow for archived finds as above
November 21, 2022 09:03AM
And as we have to include archived caches, can we please increase the total required from 12 to 15

When calculating the total, please only include a max of 5 from each type

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2022 09:25AM by Beardman75. (view changes)
November 22, 2022 03:44AM
I've tried to just change the exclude archived parameter, which I thought would do the trick, but that doesn't seem to be giving me any luck. I'll investigate, but it might take a few days.

Also, it's odd that your reviewer would suggest that you should include finds on archived hides. Although you don't absolutely require archived hides to qualify for your challenge, requiring archived caches is explicitly against the geocaching challenge rules, so it's strange that they would request for you to include them.
November 22, 2022 03:53AM
Thanks. I appreciate the efforts

-------------------------------------------------------
> Also, it's odd that your reviewer would suggest
> that you should include finds on archived hides.
> Although you don't absolutely require archived
> hides to qualify for your challenge, requiring
> archived caches is explicitly against the
> geocaching challenge rules, so it's strange that
> they would request for you to include them.

I think the thinking is that if anyone currently qualifies and one of the caches gets archived they may no longer qualify but I am just guessing.

I do know that there are other challenges in the area such as this: https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC92G62/59445 which allow archived finds but appear to exclude logs after they're archived judging by this config:
"excludeArchivedLateLog": true,
November 22, 2022 03:58AM
Unfortunately, that config option doesn't exist on this script, so it isn't that easy.

However, it should be pretty easy for bmuzzin to either implement that logic himself (it's just a date comparison, after all) or harvest the organs from that script to incorporate them into his.
November 22, 2022 06:12PM
Actually, the script *did* have a similar option! I just didn't RTFM, and didn't realize that it had to be an int instead of a bool, which is why it wasn't working. I also got hit by the 'archived' field being a string, not a number.

I've made some further modifications to the script so that it only prints out archived caches in the list, if you actually found them (their text is in red, so that they are identifiable as archived). Presumably, a user that hasn't found the archived cache doesn't care about them, because they can't go find it anyhow to satisfy the challenge, they'd like to know which caches they need to fulfill the challenge.

However, if an archived find is counting towards their total, then they'd also like to know that. Note that this means you can get the odd situation where you get more than the 5 oldest - eg. if you have all the oldest, plus an archived find, then you could get a line saying "you found 6 of the 5 oldest". So, if you get an archived find as well, then it prints that in the text, eg. for Beardman75's mystery caches, it says: "You found 2 out of a required 0 the oldest 5 cache(s). This includes 1 archived oldest."

I've also upped the number to 15 at your request. Please test it out and advise if it's good now.
November 22, 2022 09:12PM
It all looks good to me. Thank you very much for all your efforts
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login