Advanced

Re: Requesting a checker for GCA5GCF

[Resolved] Requesting a checker for GCA5GCF
March 08, 2023 10:28AM
Hi again. Hopefully this should be my last checker request for a while now. Could I please get a checker built for GCA5GCF?

The challenge is to find 8 different cache types in each of 5 Canadian provinces or territories. It does not have to be the same 8 cache types across all 5 regions either, just any 8 cache types in each region.

As usual, locationless caches, benchmarks, and lab caches are not allowed as part of this challenge. Because this is a Canada-only challenge, there are other cache types that are not available in Canada no matter what. eg.GC HQ, HQ block parties, HQ celebration parties, and the Ape caches (I think that's all of them). These can also be excluded but it's not technically necessary since you'll never be able to find them in Canada.

There is already a similar challenge that exists - GC82MQX. It's for 5x5. Could that checker be modified for this 8x5 challenge? The only other change (other than upping the requirement to 8) I'd like to ask for in regards to that checker (if it's possible) is for the checker output to show the number of cache types for all provinces and territories the cacher has been in whether it's a positive or negative result. Currently, the checker only outputs the list of all provinces and territories when a cacher fails and just lists the provinces/territories above the required number if a cacher passes. I'd like the output to show all the province/territory counts every time, if it's possible.

Thank you again.
March 08, 2023 12:22PM
Here is the link https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GCA5GCF/75746

but if you want to extent the script you will have to contact the scriptwriter direct
March 09, 2023 09:49AM
Thank you for the quick turnaround. I've tested the checker and it's working as expected.

I'm not sure if you can answer this question for me or if I need to reach out to the script writer about it as well but I found an interesting result with one of the tests I ran. This may be by design or it could be a bug. Or this could open up an even bigger conversation about special caches. For the one cacher who failed the challenge, the checker output listed this cache as one of their finds -

Newfoundland and Labrador — 1 Types (7 More Types Needed)
GC2179 Bernie's Traveling GeoCache

I'm familiar with this cache and as indicated by its name, it was a unique cache because it's a travelling cache. I've actually even logged it myself, however not in Newfoundland and Labrador. Newfoundland and Labrador is just its "official home location". How do Project-GC checkers typically handle caches like this? Should it be excluded from challenges by default? But then, what if you legitimately found it in Newfoundland and Labrador? How does the checker know that? I'm not sure if I should just leave this as is or if it's supposed to be excluded by default?

I'm aware of at least 3 other 'travelling' caches but they worked differently than Bernie's Traveling GeoCache. At least they stayed in one province and they could count as valid finds for that province. I believe all of them have been "retired"/archived by HQ now. I would appreciate any advice how the checker (and my challenge) should handle caches like these.

Thank you. I'll reach out to the original script writer about my other requested extension, after all this is settled, just in case both things need to be discussed with them.
March 09, 2023 05:48PM
Take this up with the scriptwriter because he needs to exclude travelling cache and hitchhikers from the script
April 19, 2023 11:26PM
Please close the request as completed. Thanks.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login