Advanced

Re: GCAH0RX - GCCS - The Smokey and the Bandit Challenge!

[Resolved] GCAH0RX - GCCS - The Smokey and the Bandit Challenge!
December 02, 2023 03:23PM
I have created a challenge cache for which I need a checker. The cache is GCAH0RX - GCCS - The Smokey and the Bandit Challenge!

Here are the requirements:

1. Find 2 caches in each of the US States Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, Lousiana, Arkansas, and Texas
  2. Find 80 caches with the "Teamwork Cache" attribute
  3. Find 400 caches with the "Dogs Allowed" attribute
  4. Find 400 caches with the "Fuel Nearby
  5. Find 80 caches with the "No Driinking Water" attribute
  6. Find 80 LARGE caches
  7. Find 80 caches with the "Access/Parking Fee" attribute
  8. Find 400 caches with the "Stealth Required" attribute

I'm fairly confident all of those requirements are acceptable challenge requirements, but please let me know if I've made a mistake.

This I don't know if it's allowed...

I would like to make it that if a player has found a specific cache, GC7MPJF - AR_"Smokey And The Bandit" Tribute Cache, they would automatically qualify for the challenge and none of the requirements above would apply.

Note that this would be an alternate requirement, so players could qualify either way. However, I don't know if it's allowed. If it's allowed, please add it as an alternate requirement (again, finding that one cache would automatically qualify you). If not, just stick with the first 8 requirements...

Thanks in advance for your help!
December 02, 2023 05:02PM
Here is the link https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GCAH0RX/83497

Please test and reply
December 04, 2023 01:10AM
Hello!

I have tested the checker. The good news is it is working as expected.

The bad news is it's a little harder to qualify for than I anticipated. I'm afraid it won't be published because of the lack of local cachers who qualify.

I think we can change one requirement. If we change "Find 80 caches with the "Teamwork Cache" attribute" to "Find 28 caches with the "Teamwork Cache" attribute" that will be enough to get more qualifications.

Also, I had asked about an "alternate" requirement where if you found one cache (GC7MPJF), you would automatically qualify. I wasn't sure if that is allowed and I didn't see anything about it in the message stream, so I wasn't sure if it wasn't allowed or if that requirement was missed. Note that if this is allowed and the checker is changed, you can leave the other requirement at 80 (There will be plenty of locals that found the one cache in question and would qualify...)

Thanks in advance for your help!
December 04, 2023 04:45AM
Checker changed to Find 28 caches with the "Teamwork Cache" attribute"

But to allow for an "alternate" requirement where if you found one cache (GC7MPJF), is not allowed because this challenge criteria is based on a GCcode

Please read https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=127&pgid=206#criteria

Not acceptable
These cache page elements: cache titles, cache owner, GC Codes, publishing Reviewer, or cache page text.
December 05, 2023 01:29PM
Hello,

Thanks for the feedback.

I was aware of the challenge guideline you cited, however, I always thought that had more to do with using the GC code as part of a requirement (For example, finding caches where the GC code spells "HELLO" or something like that). I know there are other challenges that are based on finding the "oldest cache in an area", so I wasn't sure if this would be acceptable or not. I agree I haven't seen many caches that had a requirement to find a specific cache. This one is kind of different cache. To find the "alternate" cache, you actually have to drive from Atlanta to Texarkana in 28 hours, which is the plot of the "Smokey and the Bandit" movie this challenge is based on. I wasn't sure if this type of requirement could be allowed as an "alternate" or not. If you say it's not allowed, I will defer to your judgement, but I am not 100% sure the rule you cited applies here...

I checked the checker for the 28 and it's working as expected. If there is absolutely no way to do an "alternate" requirement, you can consider this one closed.

Thank you for your help and your patience!
December 05, 2023 03:17PM
Here is a checker with GC7MPJF incorporated
https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GCAH0RX/83571

You can used this to test the reaction of your local reviewer

I left the old checker as it is
December 06, 2023 12:52PM
Hello,

Thank you very much for the changes. They are working properly. I also appreciate creating the second checker, as since I haven't seen this before, I'm not 100% sure if the reviewer will approve.

Thank you again for the extra work on this one!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login