Advanced

[Resolved] Question on a Challenge:

[Resolved] Question on a Challenge:
January 31, 2024 01:59PM
Greetings PGC community. I was wondering if someone might be able to solve a problem I've encountered. I am actively working on qualifying for this Challenge: GCA7VEC Prior to this weekend, I had 9 out of 10 states needed to qualify. On Saturday, I drove hundreds of miles to find this Cache: GC936F and logged it. The Virtual Cache resides at the corners of Colorado, Kansas, and Oklahoma. Per the Cache description page, the cache is located in Oklahoma and has received over 100 favorites. I assumed this would be the final State needed to officially qualify for the original Challenge cache GCA7VEC, but this checker does not agree:

https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GCA7VEC/77582

I would really appreciate it if someone could explain why the Checker isn't providing the confirmation with what I assumed was the final State needed to log GCA7VEC.. Thanks in advance to anyone and everyone that might be able to help me out. Cheers-Marky AKA Geodog74
Re: Question on a Challenge:
January 31, 2024 02:07PM
Whilst GC936F is listed as being in Oklahoma on Geocaching.com, it is in fact in Kansas "legally" because it is located to the north of and east of N 36° 59.584' W 102° 02.528' (which is the exact tri-point). For that reason, Project-GC treats it as a cache in Kansas, and not as a cache in Oklahoma.

The Geocaching.com map, Google Maps, and OpenStreetMap confirm this:

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/31/2024 02:07PM by Hügh. (view changes)
Re: Question on a Challenge:
January 31, 2024 03:31PM
Thank you Hugh! That is interesting I knew it was very close to the three states borders, but relied on the Geocaching Desciption page which stated it was in Oklahoma. Any how thank you very much for getting back so very promptly and helping me out with my question. Looks like my quest for one more state with 100 favorites will continue on. Have a great rest of your day. Be Well and Cache On! Marky AKA Geodog74
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login