Advanced

Re: GC5NRD8 Name challenge Tranås

[New script required] GC5NRD8 Name challenge Tranås
October 31, 2023 10:14AM
Not my challenge, but an old one that can use a checker in my opinion

This is an unusual ABC challenge, since it will be unique for every cacher – in one calendar week (monday to sunday), you have to log geocaches whose starting letters create your own geocaching name, in two different municipalities in Småland (area in Sweden with 20 municipalities).

To not make this challenge impossible for people with weird geocaching names, the following exceptions can be made:
- Only letters (A-Ö) and numbers (0-9) in the geocaching name count. Any other symbols and characters, for example “&” or space, you can ignore.
- The capitalization (a or A) of the characters in the geocaching name or cache name does not matter.
- If your name contains numbers (0-9), it is of course possible to find and log caches starting with the same number, but these are probably hard to find. Therefore, if you want to, you can replace numbers in the name as follows: 1 -> i, 2 -> s, 3 -> b, 4 -> y, 5 -> s, 6 -> g, 7 -> t, 8 -> b, 9 -> g, 0 -> o.
- If your name contains the letters Z, X or Q, they can be replaced with each other, if you want to.
- If your name contains the letter Y, you can replace it with V, if you want to.
- The letters Å, Ä and Ö in your name can be replaced with A, A and O, if you want to.
Example: The cacher "Co3ra & Cottex" can choose to log caches starting with the letters "cobracotteq".

Caches that you have placed yourself can’t count in this challenge.
You can log the caches in any order (it does not have to be the same order as the letters in your geocaching name), as long as the starting letters spell your full name once in the first municipality in Småland, and once in the other municipality in Småland, during one calendar week.

Which two municipalities in Småland you chose is up to you. Tranås municipality does not have to be one of them, even if the challenge cache itself is located here.
October 31, 2023 10:12PM
Pretty sure this one needs a one off-script.
November 24, 2023 08:46PM
I've made progress here, based on the similar one like this.... However, not being from Sweden, and never been there (although, I have plans!), I'm unfamiliar with the geography.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sm%C3%A5land

It doesn't look like it corresponds exactly to the regions in PGC maps. Is there a region filter (or even a specific county filter) that would work here - or does it require polygons? Because, if it requires polygons, that's probably a no-go.
November 24, 2023 09:12PM
@bmuzzin

Honestly, polygons would probably just make things worse because you would have to use county-borders from before geocaching started which would just be confusing for players. I don't think the CO thought that statement through when placing the challenge really...

I'd say the most reasonable way to do this would be to use all the counties that are fully enclosed within the borders generally agreed on as "Smålands landskap". That leaves 3 counties were parts of them are in Småland and other parts are not. Trying to make people understand why some caches in those counties can be used and some can't sounds like a headache as a CO. For the checker to ignore them would mean you might technically get some false negatives but you wouldn't get any false positives. That seems like a fair trade off IMHO.

Included counties should then be:
Alvesta
Aneby
Eksjö
Emmaboda
Gislaved
Gnosjö
Hultsfred
Högsby
Jönköping
Kalmar
Lessebo
Ljungby
Markaryd
Mönsterås
Nybro
Nässjö
Oskarshamn
Sävsjö
Tingsryd
Torsås
Tranås
Uppvidinge
Vaggeryd
Vetlanda
Vimmerby
Värnamo
Västervik
Växjö
Älmhult
November 28, 2023 07:40PM
Unfortunately, I can make the multi-test checker *do* the check... but without timing out, no. Probably going to need a more focused script for this one to get it under the time limit.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login