Advanced

Grid Art

Grid Art
December 26, 2023 02:35PM
Some while ago I recall seeing the term 'Grid Art' being used with reference to challenges and in particular completing certain portions of the DT or calendar grids that form a shape like an 'X'
criteria such as "To qualify for this challenge you need to have completed both of the diagonals on your D/T grid." being of this nature
With no clear or specific reference made in the guidelines I queried this on another forum and the main message I got from that was - Finding an otherwise random combo of caches because they form a pretty picture on a Fizzy Grid or Calendar Grid is not a geocaching accomplishment - but I also recall that checkers may not be created for such challenges
Is this also likely to be one of those regional things - some reviewers are happy with this type of challenge and others not ?
Re: Grid Art
December 26, 2023 04:56PM
It's always up to the local reviewers whether a challenge is publishable or not.

The guidelines are "generally" followed worldwide, but there are nuances. These may be interpreted and applied differently in different regions. For example, in Ontario (where I'm from), they've not allowed cache chain challenges (ie. find a chain X km long, caches max Y km apart). However these are allowed in Europe. Likewise, I've recently had a jasmer variation cache rejected, and the rejection was backed up by HQ... But these types are published without question in other regions.

There's no guideline again a diagonal on a fizzy grid... But that doesn't mean a reviewer will accept it. I've seen some reviewers reject challenges which clearly don't violate any guidelines. It's easy for them to say it "a bookkeeping exercise", and HQ will always side with the reviewer (in my experience of 5 or so appeals). However, a cache definitely won't be published if there is no checker.

The scripters/taggers here are highly aware of the guidelines. If a checker is requested for a challenge which we think is questionably publishable, we will ask the requester to verify with their reviewer first. If a request is made for something that clearly violates guidelines, we also just won't make it.
December 26, 2023 05:09PM
@bmuzzin - thanks for that - as said I recalled the issue being raised before and there were differences of opinion with this particular type of challenge and as you say it more often than not boils down to local reviewer decision (and it does get frustrating when one reviewer will say yes, another, no - which comes down to a personal preference rather than linking to a specific guideline)
January 04, 2024 10:10PM
I must have a terrible reputation amongst reviewers and at HQ because quite a handful of my challenges have launched discussions in the reviewer only forum and gone through the appeals process. I agree that HQ typically side with the reviewers from my experience, but I recon it isn't just blindly agreeing. The reasoning has always been sound, once I take a step back and think about it, even if I'm not thrilled with the outcome. I really appreciate that they have this official channel to handle things pleasantly and professionally.

It must be really difficult to shoot down people's ideas for caches and challenges, and all on a voluntary basis. This must be so much harder, considering how subjective things can be. The reviewers are the lifeblood of this game.

So grid art MIGHT be acceptable, it might not. Most reviewers I have worked with were open to helping me adjust the cache page to bring it into line with guidelines where possible. Build a cache page and give it a go.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login