Advanced

Re: Not Checker, but Reviewer advice for Mob Cache replacement

[New] Not Checker, but Reviewer advice for Mob Cache replacement
February 16, 2024 06:29AM
As you may know, the server providing the mob cache service recently shut down. Alternative providers have not been successful in obtaining Geocaching HQ approval.

I have two mob caches, GC7PDJ3 and GC9WBJF, that aren’t yet archived and I’m hoping to resurrect.

In discussions with my local reviewer, they made the comment that alternative sites are rejected because:

“The issue is making the download or host site (don't fully understand these thing), so that it does not collect any personal information other than IP details and perhaps GC account ID. The behind scenes needs to work in the same way as the Coordinate Checkers for example.”

So, I was wondering if anyone with Challenge Checker experience might have the capacity and be interested in taking on the task of rescuing mob caches?

Mister Doctor
February 16, 2024 11:36AM
I moved this to misc as this seemed the appropriate category for this request.

I don't believe the overlap between the knowledge required to write challenge checker tags and challenge checker scripts vs the web development skills and resources is as big as you'd believe. Also I'd advice anybody interested in this project to start their discussions with Geocaching HQ before writing any actual code.
February 16, 2024 09:00PM
OK, thanks Pleu.

Not a need anymore unfortunately as Geocaching HQ have just archived all mob caches and it looks like it is an idea that would no longer be approved:

“Mob caches were published as an experiment using specific technology that required players to be in the same place and to enter a code at the same time to learn the final coordinates. This was an exception to the guidelines at the time and is not a publishable concept today.
The original site used for this purpose has been removed, and therefore, HQ has decided to archive all active caches originally intended to be solved using this method. Due to privacy laws, we are not seeking an alternative site at this time. We are respectfully requesting that the cache owner please remove the cache container and contents as soon as possible.”
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login