To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

[Awaiting feedback] GCAGZDZ - GCCS - The Opposite-ish Challenge!

[Awaiting feedback] GCAGZDZ - GCCS - The Opposite-ish Challenge!
April 19, 2024 08:44PM
Hello,

I had started a challenge cache with this GC. A checker had been created, and it can be found here: https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GCAGZDZ/83487

I have decided to completely change the challenge. I'm not sure if the existing checker should be modified, or an entirely new one needs to be created. I'm fine either way.

The new challenge is as follows:

This challenge will require you to find a total of 15 pairs of caches (30 caches total). Each pair that you find must meet three requirements:

1. They have an "Opposite" attribute. For example, find a cache with the "24/7" attribute and another with the "Not 24/7" attribute. Note that you can only use a particular opposite attribute one time.
  2. The two caches must be different types. For example, a Mystery cache and a Wherigo cache.
  3. And just because I love nontraditional caches, you can't use any traditional caches to make the pairs!

Thanks in advance for your help. Please let me know if you have any questions!

Matt (GMT!)
Re: GCAGZDZ - GCCS - The Opposite-ish Challenge!
April 22, 2024 02:25AM
So, I've got the correct tagging 'structure' to make this happen (and, no script modifications yet!)...

(WIP): https://project-gc.com/Challenges//87570

My issue now is that there's no way it'll fit within the tag space. For some reason, the maximum size of a tag on PGC is pretty small (4kb), and, it means we have to have efficiencies to make tags smaller. I'm currently at 15kb for all attributes that have negative equivalents, so there's a ways to go (currently handles 10/41). I think with a few minor script edits (assuming default parameters), it can be shrunk considerably... not entirely sure it can be shrunk enough, but I'll keep looking (tomorrow :)).
April 22, 2024 04:14PM
Thank you for your hard work!

Is there anything I can do to make it easier? If I change it to 10 instead of 15 pairs, does that help? If I specify the pairs does that help? How can I make this easier to create a checker for?

Thanks!

Matt (GMT!)
April 23, 2024 11:50AM
Thank you so much for your hard work on this!

I have run the checker and it appears to be working. I only have two questions...

1. I think I know the answer to this, but is it possible to change it to 20 pairs? I was kind of surprised that nearly everyone seems to qualify for this
April 24, 2024 12:46PM
Thanks again for your hard work. I didn't even catch the miss on the results!

As an FYI, I'm in no rush for this checker, so take all the time you need and feel free to prioritize as needed.
April 22, 2024 04:56PM
Reducing the number of pairs required won't reduce the tag space. Reducing the number of attributes considered would. ... but, don't compromise yet... it's definitely doable just as you want, I'm just trying to avoid making a completely custom script. I like having all my tagged challenges under the same script, so that they all get bug fixes / upgrades at the same time (and that way I can break them all in one go too! :)). But if something custom is required, I'll do that after I've exhausted other options to reduce the tag size.
April 23, 2024 02:10AM
Okay... I fit all the attributes with some mangling.

https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GCAGZDZ/87570

The one thing that's not exactly like you asked, is that, with the positive and negative attributes pairs, the checker tests that you've found 3 types - which ensures that you've found (at least) one different type for both. It's difficult to "exclude" the one type from the result of one query to the result of another... if that makes sense. FWIW, I pass on every attribute, my lowest is 9 types for field puzzle. Let me know if you'd like that modified in any way.
April 23, 2024 11:56AM
So strange-- I just replied to this, and it shows that someone updated it, but I don't see my reply. How very odd. So, pardon if this is somehow a duplicate message...

First of all, thank you for your hard work on this! The checker works as expected!

I only have two possible requests:

1. I think that based on the above, this will be very difficult, so if that's correct, please disregard. But, I'm wondering if this can be changed to 20 pairs? I was quite surprised that I had to work pretty hard to find someone that didn't qualify for this challenge! It's no problem if it's difficult to up-- I will just have it an easier challenge....

2. Can we clean up the output any? I ran it for user WoottFam. The checker correctly shows they don't qualify, but it doesn't give a ton of information to help finish the challenge. So, I can see this user has a find for "Significant Hike", but it doesn't show me which type(s) they have so they can know what to find for the "opposite". Would it be possible to show, "Wherigo" or something like that?

Thanks again for all your hard work. If these changes are cumbersome, I will just use it as is. It does appear to be working properly.

Thanks for your help!

Matt (GMT!)
April 23, 2024 02:14PM
Switching to 20 pairs is not a problem.... but, looking at the output from that user - it's not actually working properly, as it still gives a pass if you haven't 3 types of the positive (or negative) attribute, and 0 of the other. Going to take another bit of thinking.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login