Advanced

Re: Need a challenge checker for GCA6EXE

[Resolved] Need a challenge checker for GCA6EXE
March 27, 2023 07:20PM
Hi,

My last Triple Continental Challenge was GCA3DGG that I received a checker for. My reviewer archived that challenge and said that a Continental Challenge can no longer be published without listing every country that is included in each continent. Now, my challenge had already been found 50 times and had 10 favorite points from January 1, 2023 until it was archived on March 18, 2023. The reason for archiving it after so many finds is that he said it should have never been published in the first place...

So, now for Triple Continental Challenge 2.0 - this one requires the same thing, 1 find of any type on 3 different continents, but I guess I have to list which countries go with which continents. I've attempted to group each country and territory with each continent below. I need to know if any of these countries/territories are listed differently by Project-GC or geocaching, and will the countries that are in 2 continents (like Russia and Turkey) count for both continents? Also, if you see any errors in which country is listed with which continent, please let me know...I did find a few odd ones like Hawaii being listed with Australia/Oceania on many geography maps (instead of with North America).

For the purposes of this Challenge, the 7 continents and their corresponding countries (some "countries" are actually territories, but are counted as countries by geocaching...if a Territory is listed, the parent country is listed in parentheses) are [Note that some countries are in more than one continent; for instance, Russia counts for both Europe and Asia]:

Africa:

Algeria, Angola, Azores (Portugal), Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Canary Islands (Spain), Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Ceuta (Spain), Chad, Comoros, Democratic Republic of the Congo, The Republic of the Congo, Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Ethiopia, French Southern and Antarctic Lands (France), Gabon, The Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Ivory Coast, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Madeira (Portugal), Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mayotte (France), Melilla (Spain), Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Pelagie Islands (Italy), Plazas de soberanía (Spain), Réunion (France), Rwanda, Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha (United Kingdom), São Tomé and Príncipe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Socotra Archipelago (Yemen), Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Western Sahara (Morocco), Zambia, and Zimbabwe.

Antarctica:

Antarctica has no countries, so the continent itself is counted as a country by geocaching.

Asia:

Afghanistan, Akrotiri and Dhekelia (United Kingdom), Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bhutan, British Indian Ocean Territory (United Kingdom), Brunei, Cambodia, China, Christmas Island (Australia), Cocos (Keeling) Islands (Australia), Cyprus, East Timor, Egypt, Georgia, Hong Kong (China), India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lebanon, Macau (China), Malaysia, Maldives, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, North Korea, Oman, Pakistan, Philippines, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Syria, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Thailand, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, and Yemen.

Australia (Oceania):

American Samoa (United States of America), Ashmore and Cartier Islands (Australia), Australia, Baker Island (United States of America), Central Papua (Indonesia), Cook Islands, Coral Sea Islands (Australia), Easter Island (Chile), Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, French Polynesia (France), Galápagos Islands (Ecuador), Guam (United States of America), Hawaii (United States of America), Highland Papua (Indonesia), Howland Island (United States of America), Jarvis Island (United States of America), Johnston Atoll (United States of America), Juan Fernández Islands (Chili), Kingman Reef (United States of America), Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Midway Atoll (United States of America), Nauru, New Caledonia (France), New Zealand, Niue, Norfolk Island (Australia), Northern Mariana Islands (United States of America), Ogasawara Village (Japan), Palau, Palmyra Atoll (United States of America), Papua (Indonesia), Papua New Guinea, Pitcairn Islands (United Kingdom), Samoa, Solomon Islands, South Papua (Indonesia), Southwest Papua (Indonesia), Tokelau (New Zealand), Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Wake Island (United States of America), Wallis and Futuna (France), and West Papua (Indonesia).

Europe:

Åland (Finland), Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Faroe Islands (Denmark), Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Gibraltar (United Kingdom), Greece, Guernsey (United Kingdom), Hungary, Isle of Man (United Kingdom), Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Jersey (United Kingdom), Kazakhstan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, The Netherlands, North Macedonia, Northern Ireland (United Kingdom), Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Svalbard (Norway), Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom, and Vatican City.

North America:

Anguilla (United Kingdom), Antigua and Barbuda, Aruba (Netherlands), The Bahamas, Bajo Nuevo Bank (Columbia), Barbados, Belize, Bermuda (United Kingdom), Bonaire (Netherlands), The British Virgin Islands (United Kingdom), Canada, The Cayman Islands (United Kingdom), Clipperton Island (France), Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominica, Curaçao (Netherlands), The Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Federal Dependencies of Venezuela (Venezuela), Greenland (Denmark), Grenada, Guadeloupe (France), Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Martinique (France), Mexico, Montserrat (United Kingdom), Navassa Island (United States of America), Nicaragua, Nueva Esparta State (Venezuela), Panama, Puerto Rico (United States of America), Saba (Netherlands), Saint Barthélemy (France), Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Martin (France), Saint Pierre and Miquelon (France), Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, San Andrés and Providencia (Columbia), Serranilla Bank (Columbia), Sint Eustatius (Netherlands), Sint Maarten (Netherlands),Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands (United Kingdom), The United States of America, and The United States Virgin Islands (United States of America).

South America:

Argentina, Bolivia, Bouvet Island (Norway), Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Falkland Islands (United Kingdom), French Guiana (France), Guyana, Paraguay, Peru, South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (United Kingdom), Suriname, Uruguay, and Venezuela.

Thanks,

-Erich (VeteranTributes)
March 27, 2023 08:46PM
It is not clear what you want done with the territories. Do you want them counted separately or with their parent country?

Finding in France would then get you either Europe or Europe, Africa, South America, and North America.
March 27, 2023 09:18PM
I want the territories to be in whatever continent they should be in...for instance Montserrat is part of the United Kingdom, but it is in North America, so a find there would only count for North America. I only put the parent country in parentheses so you would know that it's a territory, not its own country.
March 27, 2023 09:45PM
Also, a find in a country that has territories in other continents still only counts for where the main country is...for instance France has territories in other continents, but a find in France only counts for Europe.

The countries that would count for multiple continents are:

Azerbaijan (Asia and Europe)
Egypt (Africa and Asia)
Georgia (Asia and Europe)
Kazakhstan (Asia and Europe)
Panama (North American and South America)
Russia (Asia and Europe)
Turkey (Asia and Europe)

Even though the state of Hawaii is part of the United States, a find there will count for the Australia/Oceania continent. Only a find in Hawaii will count for Australia/Oceania though...a find in the rest of the United States will only count for North America.

Can you think of any other places that might need to be defined?
March 27, 2023 11:57PM
Spain Europe and Africa There are a few regions of spain in Africa.

Egypt Africa and Asia
March 28, 2023 12:16AM
If geocaching shows those islands around Africa as a find in Spain, then yes, a find in Spain should count for Europe and Africa.

Thanks for catching that one!
April 03, 2023 03:01PM
Just checking: Is this the first challenge checker that has had to be created like this for some new rule put in place for Continent challenges? It was news to me when my reviewer hit me with it, so just wondering.
April 03, 2023 03:15PM
Most people just copy the definition from the checker for the cache page instead of creating a specific definition to use in the checker. The rule is not new.
April 03, 2023 03:39PM
Does the checker list out every country with its corresponding continent? My reviewer said I had to actually list out every country and which continent each goes with on my Challenge Cache Page description. I had never seen another challenge where all 200 or so countries of the world had to be listed out like that.

Here is the description I had to write out for my new Continent Challenge:

The cache container IS located at the posted coordinates! However, you cannot log a find on this cache unless you have found at least 1 cache on at least 3 continents! Read to the bottom to find a list of countries in each continent.

All cache types except Reverse (locationless) and Traveling Caches count for this challenge.

You can seek and find the cache any time you want, and you can even sign the log, but don’t log it as a find until you have met the requirements of the challenge as listed above. All “Found It” logs that do not meet the requirements listed above will be deleted. The Challenge Checker output will be your proof of qualifying for this challenge.

For the purposes of this Challenge, the 7 continents and their corresponding countries (some "countries" are actually territories, but are counted as countries by geocaching...if a Territory is listed, the parent country is listed in parentheses) are [Note that some countries are in more than one continent; for instance, Russia counts for both Europe and Asia]:

Africa:

Algeria, Angola, Azores (Portugal), Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Canary Islands (Spain), Cape Verde, Central African Republic, Ceuta (Spain), Chad, Comoros, Democratic Republic of the Congo, The Republic of the Congo, Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Ethiopia, French Southern and Antarctic Lands (France), Gabon, The Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Ivory Coast, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Madeira (Portugal), Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mayotte (France), Melilla (Spain), Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Pelagie Islands (Italy), Plazas de soberanía (Spain), Réunion (France), Rwanda, Saint Helena, Ascension and Tristan da Cunha (United Kingdom), São Tomé and Príncipe, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Socotra Archipelago (Yemen), Somalia, South Africa, South Sudan, Spain, Sudan, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Western Sahara (Morocco), Zambia, and Zimbabwe.

Antarctica:

Antarctica has no countries, so the continent itself is counted as a country by geocaching.

Asia:

Afghanistan, Akrotiri and Dhekelia (United Kingdom), Armenia, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Bhutan, British Indian Ocean Territory (United Kingdom), Brunei, Cambodia, China, Christmas Island (Australia), Cocos (Keeling) Islands (Australia), Cyprus, East Timor, Egypt, Georgia, Hong Kong (China), India, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Japan, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Kyrgyzstan, Laos, Lebanon, Macau (China), Malaysia, Maldives, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, North Korea, Oman, Pakistan, Philippines, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Singapore, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Syria, Taiwan, Tajikistan, Thailand, Turkey, Turkmenistan, United Arab Emirates, Uzbekistan, Vietnam, and Yemen.

Australia (Oceania):

American Samoa (United States of America), Ashmore and Cartier Islands (Australia), Australia, Baker Island (United States of America), Central Papua (Indonesia), Cook Islands, Coral Sea Islands (Australia), Easter Island (Chile), Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, French Polynesia (France), Galápagos Islands (Ecuador), Guam (United States of America), Hawaii (United States of America), Highland Papua (Indonesia), Howland Island (United States of America), Jarvis Island (United States of America), Johnston Atoll (United States of America), Juan Fernández Islands (Chili), Kingman Reef (United States of America), Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Midway Atoll (United States of America), Nauru, New Caledonia (France), New Zealand, Niue, Norfolk Island (Australia), Northern Mariana Islands (United States of America), Ogasawara Village (Japan), Palau, Palmyra Atoll (United States of America), Papua (Indonesia), Papua New Guinea, Pitcairn Islands (United Kingdom), Samoa, Solomon Islands, South Papua (Indonesia), Southwest Papua (Indonesia), Tokelau (New Zealand), Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Wake Island (United States of America), Wallis and Futuna (France), and West Papua (Indonesia).

Europe:

Åland (Finland), Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Faroe Islands (Denmark), Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Gibraltar (United Kingdom), Greece, Guernsey (United Kingdom), Hungary, Isle of Man (United Kingdom), Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Jersey (United Kingdom), Kazakhstan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, The Netherlands, North Macedonia, Northern Ireland (United Kingdom), Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Svalbard (Norway), Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine, United Kingdom, and Vatican City.

North America:

Anguilla (United Kingdom), Antigua and Barbuda, Aruba (Netherlands), The Bahamas, Bajo Nuevo Bank (Columbia), Barbados, Belize, Bermuda (United Kingdom), Bonaire (Netherlands), The British Virgin Islands (United Kingdom), Canada, The Cayman Islands (United Kingdom), Clipperton Island (France), Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominica, Curaçao (Netherlands), The Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Federal Dependencies of Venezuela (Venezuela), Greenland (Denmark), Grenada, Guadeloupe (France), Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Martinique (France), Mexico, Montserrat (United Kingdom), Navassa Island (United States of America), Nicaragua, Nueva Esparta State (Venezuela), Panama, Puerto Rico (United States of America), Saba (Netherlands), Saint Barthélemy (France), Saint Kitts and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Martin (France), Saint Pierre and Miquelon (France), Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, San Andrés and Providencia (Columbia), Serranilla Bank (Columbia), Sint Eustatius (Netherlands), Sint Maarten (Netherlands),Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands (United Kingdom), The United States of America, and The United States Virgin Islands (United States of America).

South America:

Argentina, Bolivia, Bouvet Island (Norway), Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Falkland Islands (United Kingdom), French Guiana (France), Guyana, Paraguay, Peru, South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands (United Kingdom), Suriname, Uruguay, and Venezuela.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2023 03:41PM by VeteranTributes. (view changes)
April 03, 2023 03:46PM
P.S. My original Continent Challenge that was archived is GCA3DGG. It was archived after 51 finds and 64 additional write note logs simply because it didn't originally list out all of the countries and their continents. I've just never seen another Continent Challenge that required that, which is why I thought the rule might be new.
April 03, 2023 03:48PM
I've seen continent challenges that have the whole list of countries in the cache description, it's not uncommon (since it's an old rule).
April 03, 2023 04:10PM
Okay, thanks! Just had never seen them all listed out like that before in any of the Continent Challenges I've done.
April 03, 2023 04:09PM
At the moment their is a continent script based on the New World Encyclopedia
https://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/List_of_countries_by_continent

There is a special case for Ceuta, Melilla and Islas Canarias, Spain. Groundspeak treats the those as a region of Spain, but this checker will treat it as part of Africa.

The rest of the checker works as
continents = {
["Europe"] = {
"Aland Islands",
"Albania",
"Andorra",
"Austria",
"Belarus",
"Belgium",
"Bosnia and Herzegovina",
"Bulgaria",
"Croatia",
"Czechia",
"Denmark",
"Estonia",
"Faroe Islands",
"Finland",
"France",
"Germany",
"Gibraltar",
"Greece",
"Guernsey",
"Hungary",
"Iceland",
"Ireland",
"Isle of Man",
"Italy",
"Jersey",
"Latvia",
"Liechtenstein",
"Lithuania",
"Luxembourg",
"Malta",
"Moldova",
"Monaco",
"Montenegro",
"Netherlands",
"North Macedonia",
"Norway",
"Poland",
"Portugal",
"Romania",
"Russia",
"San Marino",
"Sark",
"Serbia",
"Slovakia",
"Slovenia",
"Spain",
"Svalbard and Jan Mayen Islands",
"Sweden",
"Switzerland",
"Ukraine",
"United Kingdom",
"Vatican City State"
},
["North America"] = {
"Anguilla",
"Antigua and Barbuda",
"Aruba",
"Bahamas",
"Barbados",
"Belize",
"Bermuda",
"Bonaire, Sint Eustatius and Saba",
"British Virgin Islands",
"Canada",
"Cayman Islands",
"Costa Rica",
"Cuba",
"Curaçao",
"Dominica",
"Dominican Republic",
"El Salvador",
"Greenland",
"Grenada",
"Guadeloupe",
"Guatemala",
"Haiti",
"Honduras",
"Jamaica",
"Martinique",
"Mexico",
"Montserrat",
"Netherlands Antilles",
"Nicaragua",
"Panama",
"Puerto Rico",
"Saint Barthélemy",
"Saint Kitts and Nevis",
"Saint Lucia",
"Saint Martin",
"Saint Pierre and Miquelon",
"Saint Vincent and the Grenadines",
"Sint Maarten",
"Trinidad and Tobago",
"Turks and Caicos Islands",
"United States",
"US Virgin Islands"
},
["South America"] = {
"Argentina",
"Bolivia",
"Brazil",
"Chile",
"Colombia",
"Ecuador",
"Falkland Islands",
"French Guiana",
"Guyana",
"Paraguay",
"Peru",
"Suriname",
"Uruguay",
"Venezuela"
},
["Africa"] = {
"Algeria",
"Angola",
"Benin",
"Botswana",
"British Indian Ocean Territory",
"Burkina Faso",
"Burundi",
"Cabo Verde",
"Cameroon",
"Central African Republic",
"Chad",
"Comoros",
"Congo",
"Côte d'Ivoire",
"Democratic Republic of the Congo",
"Djibouti",
"Egypt",
"Equatorial Guinea",
"Eritrea",
"Eswatini",
"Ethiopia",
"Gabon",
"Gambia",
"Ghana",
"Guinea-Bissau",
"Guinea",
"Kenya",
"Lesotho",
"Liberia",
"Libya",
"Madagascar",
"Malawi",
"Mali",
"Mauritania",
"Mauritius",
"Mayotte",
"Morocco",
"Mozambique",
"Namibia",
"Niger",
"Nigeria",
"Réunion",
"Rwanda",
"Saint Helena",
"Sao Tome and Principe",
"Senegal",
"Seychelles",
"Sierra Leone",
"Somalia",
"South Africa",
"South Sudan",
"Sudan",
"Tanzania",
"Togo",
"Tunisia",
"Uganda",
"Western Sahara",
"Zambia",
"Zimbabwe",
"Islas Canarias",
"Ceuta",
"Melilla"
},
["Asia"] = {
"Afghanistan",
"Armenia",
"Azerbaijan",
"Bahrain",
"Bangladesh",
"Bhutan",
"Brunei",
"Cambodia",
"China",
"Christmas Island",
"Cocos (Keeling) Islands",
"Cyprus",
"Georgia",
"Hong Kong",
"India",
"Indonesia",
"Iran",
"Iraq",
"Israel",
"Japan",
"Jordan",
"Kazakhstan",
"Kuwait",
"Kyrgyzstan",
"Laos",
"Lebanon",
"Macao",
"Malaysia",
"Maldives",
"Mongolia",
"Myanmar",
"Nepal",
"North Korea",
"Oman",
"Pakistan",
"Palestine",
"Philippines",
"Qatar",
"Saudi Arabia",
"Singapore",
"South Korea",
"Sri Lanka",
"Syria",
"Taiwan",
"Tajikistan",
"Thailand",
"Timor-Leste",
"Türkiye",
"Turkmenistan",
"United Arab Emirates",
"Uzbekistan",
"Vietnam",
"Yemen"
},
["Oceania"] = {
"American Samoa",
"Australia",
"Cook Islands",
"Fiji",
"French Polynesia",
"Guam",
"Kiribati",
"Marshall Islands",
"Micronesia",
"Nauru",
"New Caledonia",
"New Zealand",
"Niue",
"Norfolk Island",
"Northern Mariana Islands",
"Palau",
"Papua New Guinea",
"Pitcairn",
"Samoa",
"Solomon Islands",
"Tokelau",
"Tonga",
"Tuvalu",
"US Minor Outlying Islands",
"Vanuatu",
"Wallis and Futuna Islands"
},
["Antarctica"] = {
"Antarctica",
"Bouvet Island",
"French Southern and Antarctic Territories",
"Heard Island and McDonald Islands",
"South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands"
}
}
When this is acceptable for you we can use this script for the checker
April 03, 2023 04:35PM
Yes, I'll copy and paste this list, and this works for me, thanks!
April 03, 2023 04:52PM
Here is the link https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GCA6EXE/76469

Please test and reply
April 03, 2023 05:03PM
That's perfect, thanks so much!

-Erich
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login