To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

[Awaiting feedback] Bigger Better Challenge - is it technically possible?

[Awaiting feedback] Bigger Better Challenge - is it technically possible?
May 07, 2019 04:08AM
OK, so I had an idea to do a 'bigger better' challenge where each next cache would have to be bigger or better. I realize to code it would be supremely difficult or technically non possible with the variables. I thought I'd brainstorm with you lot and maybe something cool could come out. This is not a request to make a checker, just throwing out ideas. I think it's is too lengthy right now. If the 30 day limit is an issue, I can remove the time limit and the FTF bonus. See what you think:

Bigger better challenge GC87D6C

**Cache is at the posted coordinates**
Welcome to the bigger better challenge. **first draft**
For this cache you have 30 days to get 7 caches in a row where each next cache is bigger or better than the last. Let's break down the rules. You can get bigger or better in four categories: Size, type, difficulty, terrain. Here is each category in order.
Size: micro, not chosen, small, other, regular, large.
Type: Traditional, Earth, Virtual, Multi, Mystery, Event, Mega event, CITO event, Giga event, Letterbox, Webcam, and WhereIGo.
Difficulty and Terrain just go from 1 up to 5.
You can find and sign this cache any time, but you have to complete the challenge before you log it online or on the app. There is a challenge checker below to help.
You can choose to not count caches for the challenge, which allows you to pause the challenge to find others such as an event after you've found a webcam. Past caches count as long as the ones you select for the challenge were found within 30 days of each other, according to calendar date. Each subsequent cache that you count in the challenge need to get bigger or better. Once you advance a level in a category you cannot step back (EG: Once you count a small cache you cannot go back to micro caches).
There are some exceptions. Webcam and Virtual caches are immune from the size, difficulty, and terrain rating - there's just so few that are not 1/1. This means you can only count up to one virtual cache and one webcam cache in your challenge.
Earth caches are immune to size rating.
Lastly, if you manage to get a first to find, you can count it and even reset your categories to that cache. This means you could get all the way to a large, 5/5 WhereIGo and then get a first to find that is a micro 1.5/1 traditional and keep going. This allows an unlimited high score. Please do not scheme and plot with other cachers to hide caches for each other to find specifically to abuse this rule.
If you find 7 you pass the challenge at copper status, but if you manage to score more here is the status for each:7 is bronze, 15 is silver, 26 is gold, and 27+ is diamond status. Please mention your score and status when you log this cache. If another time you get a higher score / status you can 'write a note' but only the first log counts.

The image of a chart shows my progress in the challenge. Here is an explanation that came with it:
This chart of my progress helps display the rules. Of these caches I found, the green chain is pretty good, 19 long. I wouldn't count #10 because it’d hurt my score. I can't count #25 since the type is worse.
The red chain doesn’t include #9 since it doesn't get better or bigger than #8, it's the same. It could carry on at 18, but it'd be a short chain.
Re: Bigger Better Challenge - is it technically possible?
May 07, 2019 10:20AM
Before commenting on the possibility of a checker I will ask you to read the guidelines
https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=127&pgid=206#criteria

There are condition which are not allowed such as
Time limited
Specifying conditions in a streak
Negative challenge criteria
May 08, 2019 03:58AM
Vogelbird, you're right. I wasn't toeing the line on those three conditions, I was over the line. I'll work on a version that has absolutely no time component, no conditions on a streak, and no first to find. I'll throw together a chart some time this week.
May 08, 2019 01:51PM
Bigger better challenge, third draft.

For this cache you must find 10 caches where each subsequent cache is bigger or better than the last. No time limit.This is not a streak challenge and the caches you count for this challenge don't have to be found one after the other, they just need to be in sequence (small, then big). Previous finds before this was published totally count. Let's break down the rules. You can get bigger or better in four categories: Size, type, difficulty, terrain. Here is each category in order.

Size: micro, not chosen, small, other, regular, large.

Type: Traditional, Earth, Virtual, Multi, Mystery, Event, Mega event, CITO event, Giga event, Letterbox, Webcam, and WhereIGo. (Other types don't count for this challenge)

Difficulty and Terrain just go from 1 up to 5.

You can find and sign this cache any time, but you have to complete the challenge before you log it online or on the app. Once you advance a level in a category, for a cache to score it cannot be a step back.

There are some exceptions. Webcam, event, and Virtual caches are immune from the size, difficulty, and terrain rating - there's just so few that are not 1/1. This means you can only count up to one of each event type, one virtual cache and one webcam cache in your challenge.

Earth caches are immune to size rating.

You need to score 10 points to pass the challenge and you win copper status. Your status if you score more will be: 15 Bronze, 20 Silver, 25 Gold, 30 Platinum, 31+ Diamond. Please mention your score and status when you log this cache. If another time you get a higher score / status you can 'write a note' but as with all caches you can only log once.

Here is my progress in the challenge (I scored 11):
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login