To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

[Cancelled] Request for checker - GC8AHAV (DC Wards Challenge)

[Cancelled] Request for checker - GC8AHAV (DC Wards Challenge)
July 09, 2019 04:28AM
Hi lovely challenge checker volunteers,
I am hiding a DC Wards challenge - like every other counties challenge in every US state (find one cache in each county), just for the local equivalent in Washington, DC, known as wards. The requirement, if it wasn't clear, is to find at least one cache in each of the eight wards of DC. I hope this is simple, though given that Project GC profile stats don't seem to have DC's wards the way they have the counties of all the other states, I can see how this might get complicated. Here is an overlay google map of the ward boundaries. Nevertheless, it complies with the challenge guidelines - "Challenge cache criteria may be based upon these geographic areas: countries, states/provinces, counties (or their local equivalent)" - local equivalent is key here, obviously the wards.

I've created a listing for this new challenge cache - GC8AHAV. If needed I can post my proof of fulfillment.

Thanks!!
Re: Request for checker - GC8AHAV (DC Wards Challenge)
July 09, 2019 04:59AM
The local equivalent is called counties and there's no defined counties for DC on GC or on Project-GC, so the only way the wards can be matched would be to use polygon data. But that means this challenge will violate 10 of the challenge cache guidelines:

Source of Criteria: Not Acceptable: Challenges based on geographic areas other than countries, states/provinces, counties (or their local equivalent). For example, user-defined mapping polygons, latitude/longitude, radius, etc.
July 09, 2019 05:07AM
Is there any way around that though? The ward boundaries, and hence the polygons for the challenge checker, are not user-defined, they are defined by the Government of the District of Columbia, just like county boundaries (and hence polygons for every other state's counties). So just because of an oversight in the GC/PGC system this cache isn't allowed?

I suppose this issue isn't one to be taken up with you guys since you're just helping the community make checkers, btu I would be very sad to see this idea die because of unnecessary and artificial system limitations.
July 09, 2019 05:14AM
According to Wikipedia, DC only has one county: DC. You will have to take this fight to GC as they make the rules for challenge caches and they dictate/maintain the borders for regions and counties.
July 09, 2019 05:43AM
Oh man. Given the fact that on geocaching.com Kosovo is still considered to be a part of a country called 'SCG' (a country which hasn't existed since 2006), I can tell this is going to be an uphill battle.

(P.S. DC did originally have two counties, but it hasn't since the mid 1800s, and nowadays the 8 wards are functionally identical to counties in states - https://qr.ae/TWtEyV)

Thanks!
July 11, 2019 09:50PM
Hopefully you can get GC to agree. This is the local equivalent of counties. Maybe get your reviewer on board first? I miss Mayor for Life Marion Barry.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login