To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

[Cancelled] Challenge Cache requirements clarification

[Cancelled] Challenge Cache requirements clarification
November 27, 2018 11:26PM
Sorry if this has already been covered before, but I'm new here and this will be my first Challenge Cache (if allowed).

Last night I had an idea for a Challenge Cache, wrote it all up (GC80T0P), and then realised I had to learn how to get a CC published.

Reading through the "READ FIRST" document, I read that in 2016 all new Challenge Caches must have been achieved by the CO?
Is that an absolute?
I wish to create a Challenge Cache that I will not have qualified for myself (as I've only been caching for a little over a year), but I've checked several of my friends profiles and they certainly qualify, or else are close to qualification, so it's certainly not an impossible challenge.
Is there some kind of dispensation available?

Thanks for your time

John (TwigNZ)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2018 11:29PM by TwigNZ. (view changes)
Re: Challenge Cache requirements clarification
November 28, 2018 01:30AM
Reviewer here. Yes, the requirement is an absolute - you must qualify for your own challenge.

Suggestions:
  1. Encourage one of your friends to hide the cache - then you can have the satisfaction of completing the requirements, and logging a find!
  2. Finish the qualifications, and hold off until then on submitting your challenge cache for review.
  3. Relax the challenge cache requirements to match what you've already accomplished. For example, if you've found caches in 13 US States, hide a "10 states" challenge rather than a "15 states" challenge.
November 28, 2018 02:31AM
Thanks for the reply, although I'm obviously a bit disappointed with that rule.

It seems to me that all it does is force newish players to set low goals. Of course I would love to qualify for my own challenge, and I will certainly be working towards that goal, but that's probably a couple of years of caching away from my achieving it.

I'm sure there would be a very good rationale behind that rule, presumably based on something that used to occur that I don't know about, but I just feel that in this instance I'm collateral damage due to it.

There's nothing to stop me creating a D5/T5 normal cache, but I can't create a D4/T2 Challenge Cache :(

Just my views of course, and I get that you're all volunteers (and thank you for that too). Nothing personal.

Cheers,

John
November 28, 2018 10:13AM
You can create a voluntary challenge, so called unchallenge.

Here is an example https://coord.info/GC7AG3H
November 28, 2018 06:17PM
Thanks for that, I will bear it in mind if I want to create another one. For the sake of integrity of what I was trying to achieve with this particular one (mainly the format of the cache page writeup etc) I have had to re-work the requirements so that I have fulfilled them myself in order to get it published.

As a matter of interest, I guess the D rating of any unchallenge would have to be based on it being a Trad rather than the difficulty of fulfilling the 'requirements'? I suppose you could make the find as difficult as getting the requirements, but then those trying to fulfill the spirit of the cache almost have to work twice as hard?

I guess the challenge then is in challenging oneself.
November 28, 2018 07:11PM
> As a matter of interest, I guess the D rating of
> any unchallenge would have to be based on it being
> a Trad rather than the difficulty of fulfilling
> the 'requirements'? I suppose you could make the

You can select the difficulty whatever way you want. Especially if you explain the selected level in the description. For example: The UnChallenge part is D4 and the cache itself is D1.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login