To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

[Cancelled] GC8A9EA - Rookie challenge

[Cancelled] GC8A9EA - Rookie challenge
July 03, 2019 11:29AM
Hi,
I hate challenges. They are against one and only major rule we have: You have found cache, if you log into logbook. Also it push many-many geocachers to make false logs. Like logs on earthcaches in Europe, Asia and South-America during one day or manipulate found caches dates. I personally know several examples. Basically all of challenge caches are made by geocachers with thousands of founds for people like them. So it will limiting mostly rookies to make a finds. Yes, they can eventually make a find, but usually it will take several years to reach there.
So I want to make a challenge only for rookies. Please consider it.

Challenge: You have to have less than 100 founds on the date You make a log into logbook.
Re: GC8A9EA - Rookie challenge
July 04, 2019 12:36AM
As much as I like your idea, I think it's going to be considered to be against guideline 14:
Not acceptable
Not finding caches: design that limits or punishes any element of finding caches. Examples: Challenges that require ratios in finds; such as 10% of finds must be Attended logs, challenges that require finding only some particular type for over time, as 100 consecutive Mystery finds.
July 04, 2019 09:03AM
Can You explain, what part of rule 14 will not allow this kind of challenge?
Challenge caches itself by design are limits and punishes as they depend how much caches You have found during years. If You do not have years of finds, You will get punished.

sumbloke Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As much as I like your idea, I think it's going to
> be considered to be against
> guideline
> 14
:
>
Not acceptable
> Not finding caches: design that limits or punishes
> any element of finding caches. Examples:
> Challenges that require ratios in finds; such as
> 10% of finds must be Attended logs, challenges
> that require finding only some particular type for
> over time, as 100 consecutive Mystery finds.
>
July 04, 2019 11:25AM
For example, if I had found 99 caches already on one day and was considering getting this challenge, it would punish me for any other finds by not allowing me to qualify. I agree that it's not a huge punishment, but any punishment is disallowed by that guideline.
July 04, 2019 11:54AM
Or you're still new and you have 101 finds and the rules for this challenge says that you may not log this as a find. It's better to create challenges with a low requirement, eg. minimum 10 or 50 finds, than to attempt to limit the maximum. I know of at least one CO who created lots of low requirement challenges for newbies to get them to find more caches.
July 05, 2019 06:57PM
So it's not gonna happen? Then I will create just regular cache and add description, that only newbies can log it and all other founds I will change to dnfs.
July 05, 2019 07:12PM
It's not going to happen as a challenge, no. If you want to be asocial to "non rookie" people who find it, it's your choice.
July 08, 2019 07:58AM
Sorry - but you can't change a log or logtype - and you can't prevent people finding the cache and you are not allowed to delete online logs when people have signed the logbook unless they spoil the solition of a mystery or something like that. And if you choose to do so anyways HQ will reinstate the logs upon requests from the finders and lock the logs.
I very much doubt that your local reviewers will allow a cache release with that description.

If you don't like challenges - just ignore them. Most people like callenges as it's a way of setting geocaching goals for the near or far future.
July 09, 2019 10:04AM
Wait, what? I can't set requirements for cache? So how come, that earthcache has requirements for make it as found, these challenge caches has requirements, even I have FOUND cache and sign into logbook. But I can not make requirements for my own cache? Quite interesting...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login