To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

[Resolved] GC7G2H8 - Alberta "Half-Century" Challenge

[Resolved] GC7G2H8 - Alberta "Half-Century" Challenge
December 16, 2017 08:31PM
Cachers must find 50 caches in the Canadian province of Alberta that are as old as, or older than, the 100th oldest active cache in Alberta.

Province: Alberta

The checker will need to identify the 100th oldest active cache in Alberta (currently hidden on August 24, 2002) as of the moment it is run. It will then need to check a cacher’s finds to identify how many caches they have found, in Alberta, that were hidden on or before that date. (This date will change over time as old caches are archived and a new, slightly younger cache becomes the 100th oldest in Alberta. When this happens, the “target” date will change accordingly. Thus, the challenge parameter cannot simply be “caches in Alberta hidden on or before August 24, 2002”.) The checker should say how many qualifying finds they’ve found, and display the names and GC codes of all qualifying finds.

Note: I have designed this challenge with the input of two local reviewers. They have not assured me that it will be publishable, but they have asked me to proceed and they will canvass other reviewers for input. I thus respectfully request that the challenge checker creator(s) refrain from pre-judging whether this challenge meets the geocaching.com guidelines. I myself have only found 45 qualifying finds, which the local reviewers are aware of.

Thank you for your time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/16/2017 08:44PM by Stonagal. (view changes)
Re: GC7G2H8 - Alberta "Half-Century" Challenge
December 16, 2017 09:10PM
Here is the link to the checker https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC7G2H8/30773

Just two notes
a.) Groundspeak says that archievent caches prior to the 100ste cache date should count towards the total
b.) The CO should compleet his own challenge

Please confirm that this is the checker you require
December 16, 2017 09:30PM
It appears the provincial boundaries might differ slightly between project-gc and geocaching.com. GC8160 is basically on the Alberta-British Columbia boundary, but is listed as inside Alberta (and is on the Alberta side on the geocaching.com map). This cache is not accounted for in the script output. Is there a way to make sure it is included?

Reading the comments above the script output, are you saying archived caches cannot be accounted for by the checker?
December 16, 2017 10:09PM
Archieved caches are included iin the output and counts towards the total

Boundaries
Project-gc is using the Canadian census boundaries and cache coordinates to determen in which provice a cache is located. This is contrairy to Groundspeak which is relying on the cache owner to tell to which provence the cache belongs to.
The checker of Project-gc are working on actual coordinates and cannot place a cache inside a province when it is outside the boundary
December 16, 2017 10:49PM
Thank you for clarifying. I haven't found any archived caches that old myself, so the script output couldn't help me in this case.

I see now that the geocaching.com map has the provincial boundary offset by some 60 m from Google Maps and Cachly (and presumably, project-gc). Those other maps clearly show the posted coordinates just slightly to the British Columbia side. I will discuss this with the local reviewers.

Thank you for your assistance.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login