To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

[Resolved] Cloning continents challenge checkers.

[Resolved] Cloning continents challenge checkers.
September 03, 2018 03:40PM
I want to create 3 challenge caches based on finding caches in different continents. Originally I had planned to do 4 caches

Bronze - find caches on 2 continents
Silver - find caches on 3 continents
Gold - find caches on 4 continents
Platinum - find caches on 5 continents.

This would be the same as these checkers so I had planned to just clone them

GC3CTJ4 - Continents Challenge - Bronze (United Kingdom)
GC3CZFM - Continents Challenge - Silver (United Kingdom)
GC3D071 - Continents Challenge - Gold (United Kingdom)
GC46AH2 - Continents Challenge - Platinum (United Kingdom)

However the reviewers will only allow 3 such caches under the guideline that restricts the number of similar challenge caches in an area. They therefore want me to use Bronze, Silver and Gold to denote the levels. However they are happy for these to be 3, 4 & 5 continents respectively.

So that means I would like clones of the relevant silver, gold and platinum checkers but labelled as bronze silver and gold as follows. I have drafted listings accordingly for this

finds in 3 continents"GC7X6VV - Continents Challenge - Bronze" based on the existing silver challenge checker
finds in 4 continents "GC7X6V8 - Continents Challenge - Silver" based on the existing gold challenge checker
finds in 5 continents "GC7X6FZ - Continents Challenge - Gold" based on the existing platinum challenge checker

Many thanks
Neil Bell
Spire67
Re: Cloning continents challenge checkers.
September 03, 2018 05:04PM
September 04, 2018 12:53PM
Many thanks for the rapid turn around of the request.

I do however have a few questions / issues.

The request was to duplicate the existing checkers I referenced. It appears you have written new checkers. I am not sure if there is a good reason for that? The list of countries for each continent differ slightly. e.g. Curacao is under South America under the original checker but is under North America in the new checker. I have not been through the entire list of countries to identify all the differences, but there are a few. In the cache listings I had documented the list of countries by continent based on the original checker (although I guess you cannot view the draft listings). So that is a discrepancy.

The original checker documented the first cache find within each continent and stated the country it is in and the date of the find. This was useful as an aid to confirming that they had met the challenge. Particularly as roaming caches are excluded from the challenge. That is to ensure that the cacher has actually travelled to each of the continents.

Thanks for your efforts
Neil
Spire67
September 04, 2018 02:53PM
There are various continent checkers. You must understand that continent could mean any of the following: physical, political or a mix of these. Countries can also be reclassified under a new continent as literature or opinions change. There is no Groundspeak definition of continent. I've now created new checkers for you based on that script:

https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC7X6VV/37117
https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC7X6V8/37118
https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC7X6FZ/37119

Please test and let us know which checker you prefer.
September 05, 2018 09:14AM
Thanks for another speedy turnaround.

They are now suitable.

Many thanks,
Neil
Spire67
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login