To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

[Resolved] Oldest cache of each cache type in ohio

[Resolved] Oldest cache of each cache type in ohio
September 03, 2019 03:15PM
Hello,

I am looking to put out a challenge that requires the cachers to locate and find the oldest cache type in Ohio. That is they must find the oldest traditional, multi, mystery, earthcache, web cam, virtual, and wherigo. This would exclude event caches.

I believe that this is an acceptable challenge and wanted to know if someone might be able to make me a checker for it.

Thank you
gmarkusic
Re: Oldest cache of each cache type in ohio
September 03, 2019 03:19PM
Will provide a checker as soon as you provide a GC code to link it to.
September 03, 2019 03:38PM
The GC code is GC81EF5. Also I forgot to include letterbox as a cache type required.
September 03, 2019 03:50PM
Here's a checker for you:

https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC81EF5/44771

Please test and let us know if it's suitable.
September 03, 2019 05:40PM
I ran the test but it appears to be pulling an archived web cam.
September 03, 2019 05:47PM
I ran the checker against some other cachers in the area and it appears that its pulling archived caches if they are older than the currently active one of that cache type.

Is it possible to limit it to only active caches or do the guidelines require me to allow past caches if they are older than the currently active cache?
September 03, 2019 05:52PM
Yes, it'll only show archived caches if you found it in the past. If you haven't found the oldest cache for the type, obviously you can only find the oldest non-archived one currently and you will then qualify. I ran the checker for another user and got this:

You have found 3 of 8 required caches.
1. Virtual Cache 2002-04-13, GC4CA1 CNC virtual cache 2018-05-27
2. Webcam Cache 2003-08-17, GCGMQV March to the (Missing) Arch: OWU Webcam Cache 2008-08-10
3. Earthcache 2005-03-07, GCN170 Trammel Fossil Park Earthcache 2018-05-25

None of those caches are archived, but they are the current oldest in Ohio, I believe?
September 03, 2019 05:56PM
Thank you. This will work then. I appreciate the rapid turn around.
September 03, 2019 06:02PM
PS: the guidelines state that all past finds count (archived or not), but will never require you to log archived caches to qualify. Hence the allow archived finds but accept current oldest methodology.
September 03, 2019 06:10PM
Its is possible in the list to show which cache type they are missing and include the GC code for the one that is currently the oldest?
September 03, 2019 06:18PM
I've asked the developer whether it's possible to add that. Will revert once I get a response.
September 03, 2019 09:24PM
The developer worked his magic and I think you'll like what he added. Let us know?
September 03, 2019 10:10PM
That works perfect. I like the enhancement.

Thank you
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login