To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

[Resolved] GC9A8G6 - Pass A Bill Challenge

[Resolved] GC9A8G6 - Pass A Bill Challenge
April 27, 2021 07:11AM
Hi there! I'm hiding a new challenge cache (GC9A8G6) that requires cachers to find enough caches in enough US states to win them a trifecta in the federal government. Each cache in a state is a vote, and the rules for each branch are as follows:

The Senate:

Every state has 2 US Senators. If you find one cache in a state, then you will win one of its Senate seats. If you find 2 caches in a state, you will win both of its Senate seats. You win the Senate when Your Party has won at least 50 seats.

The House:

There are 435 seats in the House of Representatives. Those seats are allocated to the 50 states according to their populations- as determined by the Census- in order to minimize the differences in population between House districts. For each cache you find in a state you will win one of their House Seats, up to as many as that state has. For example, if you find 30 caches in California and 30 caches in Nevada, you will win 30 House seats from California and 4 House seats from Nevada. You win the House if you win at least 218 House seats.

Following the 2020 Census, the states have been allocated the following number of seats:

Alabama 7
Alaska 1
Arizona 9
Arkansas 4
California 52
Colorado 8
Connecticut 5
Delaware 1
Florida 28
Georgia 14
Hawaii 2
Idaho 2
Illinois 17
Indiana 9
Iowa 4
Kansas 4
Kentucky 6
Louisiana 6
Maine 2
Maryland 8
Massachusetts 9
Michigan 13
Minnesota 8
Mississippi 4
Missouri 8
Montana 2
Nebraska 3
Nevada 4
New Hampshire 2
New Jersey 12
New Mexico 3
New York 26
North Carolina 14
North Dakota 1
Ohio 15
Oklahoma 5
Oregon 6
Pennsylvania 17
Rhode Island 2
South Carolina 7
South Dakota 1
Tennessee 9
Texas 38
Utah 4
Vermont 1
Virginia 11
Washington 10
West Virginia 2
Wisconsin 8
Wyoming 1

The Presidency:

In order to be elected President of The United States, you need to win the majority of votes in the Electoral College. But the Electoral College is interesting, because it is a winner-take-all system in each state. Whichever candidate wins the plurality of votes in a state wins every single Electoral College vote that state has. In order to win a state, you need to find as many caches as is equal to half the number of Electoral College votes that state has. For example, if you find 10 caches in California and 10 caches in North Carolina, you will win 0 Electoral College votes from California and 16 from North Carolina. Each state has as many Electoral College votes as they do members of Congress (i.e. the number of House seats it has + 2). The District of Columbia, despite not having representation in Congress, does have 3 Electoral College votes. You win the Presidency if you win at least 270 Electoral College votes. For simplicity's sake, we will ignore the unique way Maine and Nebraska award their Electoral College votes.

Following the 2020 Census, the states have been allocated the following number of Electoral College votes:

Alabama 9
Alaska 3
Arizona 11
Arkansas 6
California 54
Colorado 10
Connecticut 7
Delaware 3
Florida 30
Georgia 16
Hawaii 4
Idaho 4
Illinois 19
Indiana 11
Iowa 6
Kansas 6
Kentucky 8
Louisiana 8
Maine 4
Maryland 10
Massachusetts 11
Michigan 15
Minnesota 10
Mississippi 6
Missouri 10
Montana 4
Nebraska 5
Nevada 6
New Hampshire 4
New Jersey 14
New Mexico 5
New York 28
North Carolina 16
North Dakota 3
Ohio 17
Oklahoma 7
Oregon 8
Pennsylvania 19
Rhode Island 4
South Carolina 9
South Dakota 3
Tennessee 11
Texas 40
Utah 6
Vermont 3
Virginia 13
Washington 12
West Virginia 4
Wisconsin 10
Wyoming 3
DC 3

If you manage to find enough caches in the right states to win 50 Senate seats, 218 House seats, and 270 Electoral College votes then Your Party will have a trifecta in the federal government and can pass a bill!

But wait..... there's another way! Congress can override Presidential vetoes with 2/3 support from both houses of Congress. So even if the Other Party wins the Presidency (i.e. you win fewer than 270 Electoral College votes), you can still pass a bill if you win 67 Senate seats and 290 House seats. It is extremely unlikely that someone will qualify for the challenge this way, but it is possible!

Please keep in mind that DC has Electoral College votes, but that it does not have seats in the House or Senate.

For the output, I would love it if it can say the following:

"Congratulations! Your Party CAN pass a bill!
You won X Electoral College votes, Y Senate seats, and Z House Seats!"

Or

"Sorry! Your Party CANNOT pass a bill!
You won (only) X Electoral College votes, (only) Y Senate seats, and (only) Z House Seats!"

[Add the word "only" for the chambers where they did not enough votes]

Or

"Congratulations! Your Party CAN pass a bill!
While you won only X Electoral College votes, giving the Other Party the White House, you can override the President's vetoes because you won Y Senate Seats and Z House Seats!"

Thank you so much for your time! I know this challenge is more complex than most so I would really appreciate anyone who takes the time to write the checker! Please let me know if you have any questions about the challenge rules!

Thank you again,
Bobby (garretslarrity)
Re: GC9A8G6 - Pass A Bill Challenge
April 28, 2021 04:02AM
I'm intrigued! I can do this.

When do you need it by?
April 28, 2021 04:24AM
Thank you! And I'm in no rush at all. I really appreciate you helping me out so please take all the time you need!
April 28, 2021 09:24AM
Wow! This idea is absolutely great! Would you create such a challenge-checker for Germany too? And if yes, should I start a new thread with the details?
April 28, 2021 02:05PM
Sure Glubosch, why not?

Why don't you start a new thread for this... Send me a link to it if I don't reply right away.
April 28, 2021 02:39PM
OK garretslarrity, take a look!

Once I started looking at it, I sort of got carried away and wrote the whole thing. Let me know your feedback.

https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC9A8G6
April 28, 2021 06:35PM
Wow mellow_cello, that came out great! I'm at work now so I only ran 2 quick tests but so far so good. When I get home I'll do a bunch more just for good measure but I don't anticipate any issues. Thank you again! I really appreciate you taking the time for me and for making it so well!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/30/2021 04:34AM by garretslarrity. (view changes)
April 30, 2021 04:42AM
Alright I've done a good handful of tests and everything seems perfect! Unfortunately I wasn't able to see if it works for someone who qualifies without the Presidency but that's just because I can't find someone who does to test with. Though looking at the source code it all seems correct so I don't see how there could even be an issue.

mellow_cello I've got to thank you again for all of your help! I came up with the idea for this challenge almost a year ago now and have been anxiously waiting for months to actually hide it (dang Census delay!!). It really means a lot to me that someone took the time make such a nice checker for a cache that means a lot to me!

Thank you again!
-Bobby
April 30, 2021 07:31AM
You're welcome! It's a fun and creative idea.

Unfortunately I have a ways to go before I qualify!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login