To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

[Resolved] GCA8P1E, All six counties of Saarland in one day, Only Traditional allowed

Hello dear coders,

I need a checker for the following challenge: GCA8P1E - Saarland-Challenge Immer der Reihe nach 03.00
The challenge is to have logged one traditional geocache in each of the six counties of the German Saarland (Merzig-Wadern, Neunkirchen, Saarbrücken, Saarlouis, Saarpfalz-Kreis, St. Wendel) and to have done it all in one day. You are welcome to use me to test the checker, since I completed the challenge on 13.04.2023.

Many thanks and greetings
HerrLixe
Re: GCA8P1E, All six counties of Saarland in one day, Only Traditional allowed
May 15, 2023 02:56AM
Unfortunately, this challenge is not publishable under the current Challenge Cache Guidelines:

Challenge Cache Guidelines - Section 9: Time-Limited

NOT ACCEPTABLE
Time-limited caching: as in some number of finds per day, week, month, or year. Examples: Busy Day, 50 finds in a day, 500 finds in a month, etc.
May 20, 2023 12:28AM
Then the one-day limit has to go. But I would like that you still have to have found a Tradi in France, Luxembourg and Rhineland-Palatinate. It would be great if you can include in the checker output how long it took you to complete the challenge.
Tanks!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/20/2023 12:30AM by HerrLixe. (view changes)
May 20, 2023 03:24AM
Okay, just to confirm: 1 Traditional cache in each of the six counties of Saarland (region), 1 Traditional in France, 1 Traditional cache in Luxembourg, and 1 Traditional cache in Rhineland-Palatinate (region)?
June 10, 2023 01:50AM
Copy that!

And if possible, an output like this checker, but without the blue picture: Output wish
June 11, 2023 03:28AM
Hmm. I am not sure if that exact output is possible with such overlap between countries and regions but I will see what I can do.
June 13, 2023 09:23PM
Apologies for the delay.

I could not find anything that matches the requested output exactly, but I can offer:

https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GCA8P1E/78559

Please test.
June 20, 2023 12:43AM
Hello,

that it has already taken longer. After all, I'm not the fastest.

I noticed two things. First of all the output does not look like in my wish:

This table is important to me, because it makes something here.

The second thing is grown on my crap. I'd like to narrow down France to Grand-Est and Luxembourg to Remich, since that leaves the three surrounding states as the only options, rather than all of France and all of Luxembourg.

Other than that, though, it's good and solid.

Is there anything else you can do with example log? I would write something like "Ich habe die ""Saarland-Challenge Immer der Reihe nach 03.00" erfolgreich bestanden und kann es mit dem Checker nachweisen" in there. Where Checker stands the link to this checker should go in.

Thanks a lot for the help!

Happy caching
HerrLixe
June 20, 2023 12:49AM
Unfortunately, your requested output simply is not possible: that particular script only works when all regions of interest are the same "level"; ie. all required areas are counties or all required areas are regions/states. In your particular request, Remich, Grand-Est, and Rheinland-Pfalz are regions, whereas Merzig-Wadern, Neunkirchen, Regionalverband Saarbrucken, Saarlouis, Saarpfalz-Kreis, and St. Wendel are counties.

We also cannot change the sample log; that is hard-coded by the Project-GC administrators.
June 27, 2023 12:14AM
Okay.

That the simple log is not changeable is a pity.

Can I, to use the output of the specific script, make it so that the six counties Merzig-Wadern, Neunkirchen, Regionalverband Saarbrucken, Saarlouis, Saarpfalz-Kreis, and St. Wendel, then from France the Lankreis Moselle, from Luxembourg the county Remich or Schengen and from Rhineland-Palatinate the Lankreis Trier-Saarburg or Birkenfeld or Kusel or Kaiserslautern (county) or Zweibrücken or Südwestpfalz are required? So from Luxembourg one of the two counties touching Saarland and for Rhineland-Palatinate also one of the counties touching Saarland. In the case of France, it is simply that there is only one county that touches Saarland. And then just the six counties of Saarland ;-)
June 27, 2023 12:26AM
Unfortunately, to get the specific output, no. That checker will accept only a specific list of counties and a number of them to contain caches found. For example, "find caches in 3 of County A, County B, County C, County D." While the output is nice it is not much more versatile than that.

I can offer an alternative checker, https://project-gc.com/Challenges/78946. It also unfortunately does not do nice table output, but is perhaps a little closer to what you are requesting.
June 30, 2023 01:17AM
We are getting closer.

On which checker are these three checkers based: https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC5ER12/18299, https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC85K59/41806 and https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC84E5D/41127

Is there any way to build on them?

If not, then we can build on the alternative checker. I found during testing that it accepts any cache for Remich (Luxembourg), Grand-Est (France) and Rheinland-Pfalz (Germany). Since I would like to accept only the counties bordering Saarland, as I had described on 27.06.. And thereby just from these three federal states a cache demand.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/30/2023 01:19AM by HerrLixe. (view changes)
June 30, 2023 01:25AM
Both of those are based on the "Generic county checker", the script with the output you like that can only check based on lists of counties.

The first uses the following configuration:

The second uses the following configuration:

Note that these both provide a specific list of counties and simply a total number to find. There is no "complex" logic like "...Remich or Schengen from Luxembourg and Trier-Saarburg or Birkenfeld or Kusel or Kaiserslautern or Zweibrücken or Südwestpfalz from Germany...", you just need to find that number of counties chosen from the list.

So going back to your post on 26 June, it would be possible if you simply required all (or some specific number of) the counties bordering Saarland. But of course if you just said "six counties required", someone could go find caches in all the German options and then qualify. So this checker is unable to offer the "and at least one in each country" part of your request.
July 25, 2023 02:21AM
If I see it correctly, you can't put an OR logic in clearly specified counties. On the one hand I am convinced that there is somehow a programming solution for this and I must finally make the certificate that I am allowed to program here, on the other hand I have just no time to make this certificate and I have easily more important problems to solve, where I am also still paid for. Therefore now the turn to the beginning. So just in all six counties of Saarland at least one traditional cache. Output please with map. Thanks for that and sorry for all the back and forth!
July 25, 2023 02:44AM
Well, yes. You might be able to convince me to write a custom script. But as you say: "I have easily more important problems to solve" -- most of my scriptwriting time is spent on scripts like:

https://project-gc.com/forum/read?8,54860
GC3J9CN
GC2NE02
GC4W6Z0,
etc.

and other challenges where there is no script in existence so there is no choice but to write a new script. In your case a script does exist but its fault is that it has less-than-ideal output. So would fall very low on my priority list.

...but, if you are willing to wait a potentially indeterminate amount of time, I suppose that I would not be opposed to writing one -- especially since you have been very polite :) but if you are happy with "1 Traditional in all six counties of Saarland", you may use:

https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GCA8P1E/79669
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login