To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

Re: GC7DF2K - 161m Radius Challenge

[Cancelled] GC7DF2K - 161m Radius Challenge
October 11, 2017 07:37AM
Hi challenge checker volunteers,

I'd like to create a fun challenge checker.

"To qualify, you must find all caches within 161m of the posted coordinates."

- The cache will be located at the posted coordinates.
- The geocaching guidelines state that geocache containers must be at least 161m apart.
- So basically, everyone satisfies the requirements, as the 161m proximity is mandatory.

To write the script, you would only have to need the set of coordinates of the cache?
I can supply them once I find a suitable spot for Ground Zero?

Thanks for your help,
Hayden (Muppet95)
Footnote:
1. "Radius" challenges are not acceptable under the updated guidelines (10. Source of Criteria: "Based upon user-defined polygons, radius, etc")

2. If my local reviewer wont publish this because they deem it to be a 'Challenge cache' that doesn't meet guidelines, I will try presenting it as a funny mystery cache. It would still be nice to have a 'checker' on the page.
October 11, 2017 09:11AM
> "To qualify, you must find all caches within 161m
> of the posted coordinates."

Area is not allowed criteria unless it is county etc.

> - So basically, everyone satisfies the
> requirements, as the 161m proximity is mandatory.

Players should pass the checker before they are allowed to log the cache as found. This practically means that no one will qualify. You should reverse this requirement by not allowing any finds from this area to qualify :)

> To write the script, you would only have to need
> the set of coordinates of the cache?

Checker can get current coordinates automatically after the cache is published.

> 1. "Radius" challenges are not acceptable under
> the updated guidelines (10. Source of Criteria:
> "Based upon user-defined polygons, radius, etc")

Yes

> 2. If my local reviewer wont publish this because
> they deem it to be a 'Challenge cache' that
> doesn't meet guidelines, I will try presenting it
> as a funny mystery cache. It would still be nice
> to have a 'checker' on the page.

I tried this once myself. I found that reviewers are so annoyed to review challenges that they do not want to see anything which even remotely resembles a challenge unless forced by headquarters. You may find this difficult to achieve but I would like to see the result anyway.

If your cache is not a real challenge (word challenge missing from the title) the checker will be automatically disabled. It is still possible to create a tool, which is not directly linked to the cache, but I do not know if there is any guideline at PGC which allows or disallows this kind of use. (If someone has answer to this question, please reply here)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2017 10:13AM by arisoft. (view changes)
October 15, 2017 01:54PM
Reviewer here. Please know that your reviewer will not publish a cache with a checker on the page unless it is a valid challenge cache.
October 17, 2017 12:42PM
What if the next cacher creates an unknown cache (or other non-traditional cache) with posted coordinates within 161m of your cache?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login