To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

Re: Request for GC5PDA4 - Capitol Cities

[Cancelled] Request for GC5PDA4 - Capitol Cities
October 27, 2017 11:55PM
I am wondering if we could get a checker made for this one. Seems like it should be easy enough, at least for the United States part, but maybe the rest of the world as well?

"Find caches in a minimum of 1o capital cities. These cities can be the capitals of states, provinces or countries. Yes Washington DC counts. If you've been to Great Britain, then you could count London and Edinburgh."

"Only cities that were capitals at the time you found the cache count. So Corydon Indiana or St. Charles Missouri do not count. All cache types qualify."

Note from me - I realize this can be checked manually, but I like the logic behind a checker on this one. One day, maybe, I will try to learn enough programming to volunteer to do a few checkers.
October 28, 2017 10:03AM
I'm sorry but allthough I made a json file for the capitals of all the States in the US , I can't use this file for the simple reason that the definition of the word capital cities is too vage.
The sentence "Find caches in a minimum of 1o capital cities. These cities can be the capitals of states, provinces or countries. Yes Washington DC counts. If you've been to Great Britain, then you could count London and Edinburgh." implies that all the capitals in the world are covered.

As you are not the CO of this cache, I could not make a checker which does not covered the qualification of this challenge
October 28, 2017 08:33PM
I really admire the ethics and attention to detail shown in vogelbird's response.

I am the owner or co-owner of three challenge caches, all hidden pre-moratorium. All three had challenge checkers tagged to them, but not by the request of the cache owner. All three checkers failed to match the challenge requirements stated on the cache page. It is nice to see that this shouldn't happen anymore.
October 28, 2017 09:46PM
Quick question - would it help if I asked the CO to ask for a challenge checker on this one?
October 28, 2017 10:07PM
That would not help in this case. There are simply too many polygons to be build as the capitals are going down to regional level all over the world.
Even when he limits the condition to States and Provinces in the US and Canada plus the other country capitals, we are talking about a lot of work
October 28, 2017 10:24PM
OK, thanks. This might be easier for GSAK as there is already a getlocations macro that adds the city, and then could filter based on that.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login