To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

Re: Checker for distant caches available?

[Cancelled] Checker for distant caches available?
March 29, 2022 08:27PM
Is it possible to produce a checker for 10 finds that are located at least 10km from any other geocache?
If you know an existing challenge cache or checker for this, I would be happy to test it for myself. It is very hard to validate it manually on the map..
Thanks!
March 30, 2022 11:38AM
This criteria is not possible because a checker only takes the finder's caches into account and therefor can not check for caches surrounding his find.
March 31, 2022 06:14AM
Can we modify it then: found 10 geocaches that are located at least 10km from any other geocache you have found? In this way you only need to check finds of a particular user.

If you could make this checker for this GC code: GC9PVEX, then I would test it and then decide if numbers (count of finds or radius) should be changed (maybe it's too simple or too complicated). But I like concept itself because this enourages you to find caches that are far away from other caches (not a trail or city).
Any comments are more than welcome :)
March 31, 2022 10:23AM
I have a different concept for you. Check this out https://project-gc.com/Challenges//67442
March 31, 2022 01:36PM
Yeah, I know this one and I love it, but I was afraid to use it because there are 2 challenges of this kind in Estonia - our neighbor country :) Did not want to duplicate.
If my suggested concept is not possible or is too hard, then I will think of some variation of your proposal.

Please feel free to respond if my idea is complicated or you believe it's not interesting as a challenge?
March 31, 2022 02:55PM
I believe your concept falls in the category of a negative criteria because it limits or punishes any element of finding caches in an area closer to an already found cache
March 31, 2022 03:02PM
Yes, indeed, this is a good argument. My initial concept of "no any other cache in 10km radius" would not be negative, but that is not possible, as you said.

Please leave this case open for another day or two, and let me think about it :)
March 31, 2022 08:11PM
Let's cancel my request and close this case for now. I will consider this concept for my next round of challenges in couple of weeks, but now I will concentrate on the last 3 challenges on current geoart that are more clear :) Thanks for your support!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login