To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

[Awaiting feedback] Correct spelling errors in a checker

[Awaiting feedback] Correct spelling errors in a checker
August 16, 2022 10:27PM
Hello,
I have run across a challenge checker that I am using in an "un-challenge" traditional cache.
https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC9K21A/64711
I know it's not a currently-valid challenge, but I am still using it for my traditional cache - UnChallenge - 81 D/T Combinations in a Year.
The issue is that the checker output contains two spelling errors that I hope you will fix for me.

During 2018 you only logged 79 diffrent DT
====> the correct spelling is "different"
During 2019 you succeded an logged 81 diffrent DT
====> the correct spellings are "succeeded" and "different"

Thank you for your time.

GoldenStateBoy
Re: Correct spelling errors in a checker
August 17, 2022 12:14AM
You'll have to wait for Target, since he created that scripts.

FYI, according to the Guidelines, your Optional Challenge listing:

- Must clearly state that the challenge is optional.
- Cannot have the English word "challenge" in the title.
- Cannot be a Mystery Cache.
- Cannot include a web-based challenge checker.

Since you cannot include a web-based checker, your checker likely won't be getting much traffic and so the spelling mistakes aren't really a big deal.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/17/2022 12:15AM by Hügh. (view changes)
August 17, 2022 12:43AM
Thank you for the information, Hügh.

My cache has been published.

To address your comments, you state that the cache:

- Must clearly state that the challenge is optional.
----- It does. The description says, "UnChallenge caches are simple traditional caches that you can sign the log then claim an online find at anytime. They are traditional caches that cannot require Additional Logging Requirements." It goes on to say, "And, even if you don't qualify for the challenge you can still log the cache."

- Cannot have the English word "challenge" in the title.
----- The title contains the word "UnChallenge," which is not the same as the word "Challenge." In fact, it means it is NOT a challenge.

- Cannot be a Mystery Cache.
----- This is a traditional cache. The D/T rating is for the hide, not for the challenge, and is appropriately rated.

- Cannot include a web-based challenge checker.
----- Well, I guess there you have me.

However, the cache page wonders whether people could qualify for this if it were a challenge. It is using a script created by Target, which means it must have been created at one time for a valid challenge. It doesn't have to be changed for me, but of the six persons who have logged the cache, three have commented on the poor spelling.

Have a wonderful day!

GoldenStateBoy
August 17, 2022 12:52AM
It was only the last point that I was trying to bring to your attention. However it was easiest to just copy the whole page.

There are instances of now-grandfathered "fill your D/T in a year" Challenges out there; see for example GC4C19G, GC5AAEJ, GC5DNAW, and GC5R9W9. Many have qualified. In fact I do too, but I have not signed any of those.

If Target sees this thread he may update it. If not you can always message him directly and ask.
August 17, 2022 01:05AM
Again, thank you, Hügh.
Of the challenge cache pages you listed only one has a checker, and it produces the same spelling errors. Another doesn't have the checker, but the finders are using that same checker to verify their qualifications. It would seem that there is a valid reason to correct it. If Target doesn't see this in the next few days I'll reach out directly, as you suggest.
Be well.
GoldenStateBoy
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login