To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

[Awaiting feedback] Cache Centroid Challenge

[Awaiting feedback] Cache Centroid Challenge
October 07, 2022 07:35PM
Before I design this challenge can I check if a challenge cache requiring a cache centroid of greater than a certain distance from a fixed point such as the first cache (use first trad to make the coords clear) someone ever found would be acceptable?
Re: Cache Centroid Challenge
October 07, 2022 08:15PM
If I understand you correctly, you're trying to have the user's centroid of finds far away from a particular point (for example GC HQ)? This doesn't sound like it would be acceptable to me. Specifically, to pass the challenge, users would likely need to avoid finding caches near whatever the fixed point is (otherwise, their centroid will move towards that point). I'd guess the reverse is also unacceptable, eg. having the user's find centroid be close enough to a particular point, as they'd need to avoid finding caches far away.

This would violate rule #14:
https://www.geocaching.com/help/index.php?pg=kb.chapter&id=127&pgid=206#positiveCriteria
Not finding caches: design that limits or punishes any element of finding caches. Examples: Challenges that require ratios in finds; such as 10% of finds must be Attended logs, challenges that require finding only some particular type for over time, as 100 consecutive Mystery finds.
October 13, 2022 01:31AM
Thank you. I will do some lateral thinking to see if I can come up with a way this might work without violating rule #14. I can think of one already but will give it some more thought and come back when I have crystalised an idea.
December 16, 2022 12:05PM
This thread has not received any further feedback and will therefor be moved to ARCHIVE Checker requests (impossible). Should the requester have any queries he can raise his question on this thread in the archived section
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login