To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

Re: Challenge checker for Eager Beaver Monthly… GC6Y6HK

[Cancelled] Challenge checker for Eager Beaver Monthly… GC6Y6HK
March 11, 2017 02:41AM
Hi,
RE: Challenge checker for Eager Beaver Monthly… GC6Y6HK

A couple of years ago I inquired about checker that could validate for all the days in an entire month for a given cacher the following requirement: “Find at least one cache on the first day it was found or the day following the first day it was found”. I now notice that you have a tool to check for “Forgotten FTFs”.

I have 3 different challenge caches published that are in need of a checker that would check the simple rule of “Find at least one cache on the first day it was found or the day following the first day it was found” for an entire month. Would it be possible for you to write a checker for one of my challenges: “Eager Beaver Monthly - Feb 28th Challenge Edition” https://coord.info/GC5KDH8 ?

I understand it may not be as simple as I imply, but I would very much appreciate you considering my request.

Regards/Ken (KCSearcher)

By the way, I again want to thank Magnus from Project-GC Support for the donation of two coupon codes I was able to use for my March 4th event: “FTF on Feb 29? No, Just FTF Prizes & 2016 Results” https://coord.info/GC6Y6HK . It was a huge success, 144 attendees, and Project-GC was posted on the cache page AND verbally announced during the Regular RAFFLE drawing.
March 11, 2017 07:23PM
I'm sorry but for challenges published after may 2016 it is not acceptable. It will be seen as time limited caching http://support.groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=206#timeLimited.

The grandfather challenges have also a difficulty that the condition like:
"SCENARIO 1: If the cache was first found at 11:59 PM on February 4th and you found it at 10:00 PM on February 5th (22 hours later), that find would qualify. Your qualifying date would be the date you found it; in this example, February 5th. If you found it at any time on February 6th or later, that find would not qualify. It must be found on the first day or the following day. In this example, this allows you at least 24 hours to find the cache and have it qualify for this challenge."

can not be detected by the checkers. They work on a daily basis and not on an hourly basis as you chalenge requires

We will only be able to make a checker forr finds found on the same day as a cache being published
March 11, 2017 08:24PM
Hi,
RE: Challenge checker for a generic Eager Beaver Monthly Challenge.

Thanks for your prompt response. As I understand it, the “Forgotten FTFs” tool “…lists caches that you have found on the first day that someone else found it on, and that are not listed as FTF at Project-GC. It also lists how many logs the cache received that day, which makes it easier to see if it was an event cache…

If the time range descriptions are all removed, could a challenge checker be written covering each day of an entire month (e.g. February) for either of the following two situations?
1. “List caches that you have found on the first day that someone else found it on”
2. “List caches that you have found on the first day or next day that someone else found it on”

It seems like at least the first one could be accomplished since it essentially does the same as the “Forgotten FTFs” tool.

Regards/Ken (KCSearcher)
March 13, 2017 10:18PM
It would be possible to write a checker that counts a specified date or the following date. The biggest problem with this challenge would be the fact that the checker system does not provide access to other logs on the cache, so there's no way to determine when the cache was first logged.

Additionally, the fact that log dates do not have to match when the find was actually made can skew the results. Two examples:
1. Some logging methods (such as the website) assume cachers are in USA and will default to the American date. If the cacher doesn't fix the date then the timeframe to qualify for this challenge would be off by a day. I've seen this several times in Australia, where the 2nd or 3rd to find shows as happening the day before the FTF. A cacher finding it the morning after the FTF (potentially only about 15 hours after the FTF) who logs their find on the correct date might not show up as qualifying.
2. I placed a cache during an event. I allowed the cachers at that event to sign the logbook, but asked them not to log it until the FTF had gone. It was FTFed about a week later. At least one of the cachers logged their find on the date I placed it. In this case, the FTF would not be counted as qualifying, but surely should.
March 14, 2017 11:01PM
Hi,
RE: Challenge checker for a generic Eager Beaver Monthly Challenge.

Good feedback. However, I’m a little confused. If the “Forgotten FTFs” tool can determine “…the first day that someone else found it on”, doesn’t that imply it accessed at least the first “find” log of the cache to do that? I analyzed the output of 2 of my caching friends and that seems to be the case. Their “Forgotten FTFs” were logged 2nd, 3rd, etc. after the first log on the same date. Could help me understand this little better?

I’d like to propose a less constrained Eager Beaver Monthly Challenge checker. The rule would be satisfied and the person qualify if any one of these 4 conditions is true:
1. The person posting a find any date on or prior to the publication date.
2. The person posting a find on the first day that they or someone else found it on.
3. The person posting a find on the 1st day after someone else found it on
4. The person posting a find on the 2nd day that someone else found it on

The other difference would be “Forgotten FTFs” excludes the person’s own FTFs. That check would not be necessary.

I think these also address your points 1 and 2.

Regards/Ken (KCSearcher)

By the way, thanks for being so patient with me.
March 14, 2017 11:10PM
The site as a whole gathers more data than is made available to the checker system. So the site finds out about all logs, but only passes through the user's own ones to the checkers.

The READ FIRST thread includes:
* The checkers does not have access to logs from others on the geocaches logged. Therefore a challenge to log a geocaches that hasn't been logged for one year isn't possible. We are however looking into solving this in the near future (June is expected). Details are yet to be determined.
March 14, 2017 11:23PM
Hi,

Wow. That was quick. Thanks.

I was under the impression it had access to the same as all other stats and functions. Now I understand better the scope the checker system.

I'd appreciate if in the design process that for the targeted release in June (I understand it could be later), all of the data elements be included that would make the Eager Beaver Monthly Challenge checker functional.

Thanks for all your hard work and vision.

I’ll be retiring from my IT career in November 2017. I’ll contact you then as I have a programming background and would be willing to attempt to write a checker for these types of challenges and others.

Regards/Ken (KCSearcher)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login