To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

Re: Revised Challenge Checker for Time Zones

[Resolved] Revised Challenge Checker for Time Zones
October 12, 2017 10:29PM
I just found out that I cannot just have a checker for just time zones in the United States. So I have added states for each time zone and that will be acceptable data for a cache. GC7D8JQ

PACIFIC ZONE: Washington, California, and Nevada. MOUNTAIN ZONE: Montana, Utah, Wyoming, Colorado, Arizona, and New Mexico. CENTRAL ZONE: Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Illinois, Missouri, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama. EASTERN ZONE: Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia, South Carolina, North Carolina, New York, District of Columbia, Maine, Vermont, Massachusetts, Connecticut, New Jersey, Delaware, and Rhode Island. You must find 1 cache in the PACIFIC ZONE, 1 in the MOUNTAIN ZONE, 1 in the CENTRAL ZONE, and 1 in the EASTERN ZONE. You may use any type of cache.

Alaska and Hawaii are not included. I chose states that were only in 1 time zone. If you need me to change any states, please email and I will make any changes necessary.

Thanks for the help.
October 13, 2017 03:57AM
Okay, here you go: https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC7D8JQ/29286

Interestingly, sc-kayaking seems to have got a challenge cache published with a checker cloned from the one I did for you before...
October 13, 2017 01:38PM
Reviewer Smith and his peers decided it was not acceptable because of this rule.

Not acceptable: Challenges based on geographic areas other than countries, states/provinces, counties, (or their local equivalent. For example, user-defined mapping polygons, latitude/longitude, radius, etc.

The checker does not work because it says there is no geocache GC7D8JQ. Do I need to archive this one and get a new GC code?

Thanks for your help.
October 13, 2017 03:19PM
DelicateFlower & Tim Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Reviewer Smith and his peers decided it was not
> acceptable because of this rule.
>
> Not acceptable: Challenges based on geographic
> areas other than countries, states/provinces,
> counties, (or their local equivalent. For
> example, user-defined mapping polygons,
> latitude/longitude, radius, etc.

Some challenge rules are pretty vague. For example, I have studied why elevation is accepted although is definitely polygon based area being not county etc. I found an answer which originates from HQ and it is based on fact that It's fairly standard to determine elevation based on lat/lon. It is treated as county data which is also not available from the description but easy to determine. From that base, time zones should be allowed with the same argument and it depends on the reviewer what is the result.
October 13, 2017 03:51PM
The problem is that out of the 51 States and Federal Districts , 13 States and Federal Districts have Multiple Time Zones.
Groundspeak's opinion is that because of this a timezone checker == a polygon checker. Hense the situation that you have to define the States versus Zone
October 13, 2017 03:59PM
vogelbird Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Groundspeak's opinion is that because of this a
> timezone checker == a polygon checker. Hense the
> situation that you have to define the States
> versus Zone

Yes... this is the vague part. Sometimes polygons are ok and sometimes thay are not and sometimes the information is filtered by the reviewer's with prejudice. I would recheck that the decision was really originated from the HQ and then live with it.
October 13, 2017 04:29PM
I was informed that I needed to add states to it to be acceptable. I did and sumbloke made a new checker for me. The problem I have now is that the checker is not working. It says that there is no geocache with that GC7D8JQ in red writing. It is not linking properly.

I added the extra information for sumbloke to see why I needed another checker with the states.
I am sorry that I confused you with it but with the states added there should not be a problem.

Thanks for your help. I appreciate it.

https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC7D8JQ/29286r checker.
October 13, 2017 04:37PM
The checker 29286 29166 is removed. By the way did you receive my message re: https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC3WN1F_geocaching-challenge-elevation-bands

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2017 04:41PM by vogelbird. (view changes)
October 13, 2017 05:29PM
No I didn't. How strange is that? Did you know that I was currently working on finding the elevations for that particular cache? Is there a checker for it? I just went through my caches and found that we do qualify. We signed the log a few weeks ago.

https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC7D8JQ_united-states-time-zone-challenge-of-rockford

I am such a pain. I double clicked on this one and it takes me directly to my geocache but with no checker.

It does not take me to the place that I can link it on to the checker. The checker picture with GC logo.

I tried with the old checker on it and it did not work either. (I did not think it would.)

I need your help again. Thanks for your patience!
October 13, 2017 05:37PM
October 13, 2017 07:30PM
Thanks for the checker for the elevation zones. It worked great for me.

But I still cannot get the new checker to work for my U.S states Times Zone. I don't know what I am doing wrong. When I double click it takes me to my geocache but there is no link to the checker itself.

Thanks again for all of your help.
October 13, 2017 08:06PM
Can you try this checker https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC7D8JQ/29295

sumbloke made an error in the config and being weekend he is not so often on the site
October 13, 2017 09:21PM
Oops, my bad. Go ahead and use vogelbird's one.

It was actually because it was the middle of the night here that I didn't see the replies yet.
October 13, 2017 04:39PM
https://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC7D8JQ_united-states-time-zone-challenge-of-rockford

This cache is unpublished. That is why you see red text "Cache does not exist". Don't worry about that. It will be fixed after your cache is published.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/13/2017 04:48PM by arisoft. (view changes)
October 14, 2017 02:15PM
The checker worked perfectly!!! Thanks to sumbloke, airsoft, and vogelbird for your help with my cache. I just sent it off to the reviewer. Hopefully it will get published with the changes we made!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login