To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

Re: WorldScrabble Challenge

[Resolved] WorldScrabble Challenge
June 22, 2016 08:24PM
I am interested in setting a new challenge cache but have fallen foul of the new checker requirement.

Can someone tell me if my challenge exists or is even possible?

Make a word of minimum 5 letters from the first letters of countries you have found a Geocache in as listed on your Maps data on Geocaching profile.

I found a web site (http://www.wordfinders.com/) that will check for words but this is not good enough for the new guide lines.

Please is there anyone that can either write this checker or point me in the right direction to solving this problem.
June 22, 2016 08:52PM
You have to limit it to a list of words that the checker can look at. The checker cant access other websites
It might be to time consuming if the list is long but i guess that it would work.

But you might have another problem
Guideline 4. Source of Criteria

must be verifiable through information on Geocaching.com.
and
Guideline 5. Standard for Criteria

The challenge requirements should be simple, and easy to explain, follow and document. A long list of rules or restrictions may prevent publication.

In my opinion 4 mean that the word list has to be on the cache page and 5 will forbid it.

Please ask a reviewer about it
June 23, 2016 07:12PM
Hi and thank you for your suggestions, I think that Groundspeak have created a problem with their stringent ruling on challenges now and take some or a lot of the fun pout of it.

What I may have to do is use the existing challenge checker for ten countries and add a suggestion to make a word out of their countries as an optional add on and not as part of the challenge.
June 24, 2016 03:39AM
To learn Lua, I have been working on a script to let folks make a challenge to spell a specified word using names of areas where they have found geocaches. So it would support a challenge to spell GEOCACHE using the first letters of countries, or regions or counties or all of these where you have made a find.

The script is mostly done although I'm thinking of adding an option for freeLetters in case you want to spell a word and there is no region starting with that letter at all.

That said, I'm blocked from publishing it until PGC opens the door to more script writers/taggers. If need be, I have a friend who will publish it for me but I'd rather not have to keep going back to him if there are issues or enhancements needed.
June 24, 2016 02:39PM
Having given much thought I am now going to make the World Scrabble Challenge a simple 10 Country Challenge with an optional request to make a word from your Countries,

I tried to copy the Checker from a previous 10 Country challenge but have lost the information when my computer crashed.

GC6F4RH - world tours challenge 1 (United Kingdom)

Now if I try to copy and use the GC Code GC6KTF3 it states already used.

Can someone help me sort the checker as I am going round in circles trying to find an answer.

Thanks
(:P)
June 26, 2016 02:32AM
It looks like it created the new tag before your computer crashed. The link to the checker is: http://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC6KTF3/21640
July 12, 2016 01:51PM
Seems to be resolved and challenge cache published
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login