To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

Re: GC5GDRM - The 5x5 State Challenge

[Awaiting feedback] GC5GDRM - The 5x5 State Challenge
July 10, 2018 03:12AM
Hello there! I am need of a checker for a challenge I created prior to the new rules. Here is what is needed:

Cacher must have five (5) different cache types (icons) in five (5) US states for a total of 25 caches.
  • Caches do not need to be in the same county. Locationless caches, lab caches, and traveling caches do not qualify for this challenge. Only one event cache of any type per state will qualify. Your home state does not qualify for this challenge!
  • Caches do not need to be in the same county.
  • Locationless caches, lab caches, and traveling caches do not qualify.
  • Only one event cache of any type per state will qualify.
  • Your home state does not qualify for this challenge!

Thank you for all you do!
July 10, 2018 06:12AM
Although this is a grandfathered challenge, I wish to create a 10x5 and 15x5 challenge, too. Yes I qualify for both. If this one is possible then I will create them. It this one is not possible then why bother?
July 10, 2018 11:01PM
The "home state" condition can't be checked by the checker system. The rest of the conditions would be possible to check. But I'm not aware of any scripts currently written that would handle the event cache condition.

I'll try to get a chance to write/modify one, but I'll leave this thread marked as "new script required" so as not to discourage other script writers.
July 11, 2018 06:45AM
So,I would need to eliminate the "home state" rule, right? I guess I could assume that the home state would have the five icons and have the checker look for six states, right?

And there is a chance of writing a script that lumps "All event cache types" into one category? That would be critical to this grandfathered challenge, and I would prefer it for the 10x5 and 15x5 versions.

Thank you for the feedback and the continued wonderful work! =)
July 11, 2018 10:27AM
Cloned and extended an existing script to handle the Event grouping, so here's a checker for you:

https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC5GDRM/36066

Please test and let us know.

PS: as sumbloke already mentioned, we don't have access to your "home state", so that test is not included in this. However, I can simply change the configuration to 6 states if that's what you need.
July 19, 2018 09:13PM
The challenge criteria say that locationless caches are excluded, yet these are returned in the checker output for my account, in three of five qualifying states (including my home state). I like the idea of adding a sixth state on the assumption that the home state ought to be one of the ones listed.
July 19, 2018 09:24PM
I am torn about having it check for six states, as it could give non-US persons a false negative. Yet allowing it for just 5 states would give US persons a false positive. Perhaps I should ask for it to look for 6 states, and still have it be used simply as a guide?

I hadn't run the checker and shown anyone with locationless caches qualifying. Can that be corrected?
July 19, 2018 09:48PM
Thanks for the input. Locationless should now be excluded on these.
July 20, 2018 01:05AM
I am not asking you to change this, yet, but just asking about the possibility.

Is it possible to give a positive result for six states, and a cautionary result for five states?

With six states it would say, "The Geocacher fulfills challenge The 5x5 State Challenge (GC5GDRM) according to https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC5GDRM/36066.

With five states it would say something like, "The Geocacher may may fulfill challenge The 5x5 State Challenge (GC5GDRM) according to https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC5GDRM/36066. You have the required number of cache types in five regions -- however, if one of those regions is your state of residence you do not qualify."

Of course with four or fewer states it would say the the cacher did not qualify.
July 11, 2018 12:57PM
The downside to using six states is that it doesn't account for people who don't live in USA. It would be perfectly valid under the conditions stipulated for a Canadian, for example, to qualify with five.
July 18, 2018 11:25PM
I think I will use this as a guide for some people, but not modify the existing challenge.

Thank you
September 04, 2018 11:41PM
I haven't seen a response to this question, but it's possible it was missed because it was on a thread.

I am not asking you to change this, yet, but just asking about the possibility.

Is it possible to give a positive result for six states, and a cautionary result for five states?

With six states it would say, "The Geocacher fulfills challenge The 5x5 State Challenge (GC5GDRM) according to https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC5GDRM/36066.

With five states it would say something like, "The Geocacher may fulfill challenge The 5x5 State Challenge (GC5GDRM) according to https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC5GDRM/36066. You have the required number of cache types in five regions -- however, if one of those regions is your state of residence you do not qualify."

Of course with four or fewer states it would say the the cacher did not qualify.
September 05, 2018 07:23AM
I've modified the script to cater for this. Please run the checker for "Rana" to see the result. I'm still deciding whether to give an OK or Fail for this. And no, I can't modify that first text as that's hardcoded based on the OK or Fail return.
September 06, 2018 09:01PM
I am leaning toward modifying the challenge so that any five states qualify. That would also make it easier to convert for 10 and 15 states, which will publish soon. I will let you know.

In the meanwhile, can you tell me what the numbers in parentheses refers to? For example, when I run the checker on myself the first state says, "Region: **California** (112)." What does the 112 represent?
September 07, 2018 06:49AM
At first I thought those are the number of finds for that region. But we're grouping on type on 2nd level, so I'll have to go dig in the code what those are, since it can't be the number of types, even though the other regions could be the number of types. The 112 is off though.
September 07, 2018 08:53AM
Found a coding anomaly and fixed it. Also changed your config to show the best country/region/county, so now the numbers in brackets will correctly be the number of types.
September 07, 2018 02:55PM
Those are both wonderful changes! Thank you!!

When I first mentioned the different outputs for a 6-state v. 5-state result I wanted to know what was possible so I could make a better decision about whether to change the challenge or use a checker that might not give the best results. After talking with others I have decided to change the challenge to allow the cacher's home state.

I appreciate that you modified the checker to show me the possibility, but can I ask you to reverse it back so that any five states will return a positive result. I will make the necessary changes to the cache page.

I will also be publishing a 10-state and 15-state challenge that are like this, with the only difference being the number of states. I don't know if you need to have the GC Number (Waypoint ID) to create them, but I will be requesting them in the next few weeks.

Again, thank you for your patience and hard work on this.

GoldenStateBoy
September 07, 2018 03:16PM
Changed back to 5x5, same checker link. Can do the 10 and 15 challenges as soon as you provide GC codes, ie. even before you find a spot to place it. Will leave this topic open so you can post the GC codes here once you have them. Don't worry about all the "unnecessary" changes. In a way it's a challenge for me to find solutions for challenge checkers and I like challenges. Win-win for both of us. :)-D
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login