To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

Re: Challenge Checker needed

[Resolved] Challenge Checker needed
August 07, 2018 11:06PM
I'm looking to have a challenge checker made.

The checker needs to locate 6 types of caches (webcam, wherigo, earthcaches, multicaches, letterboxes, and traditional) where each cache type starts with a different letter (A, U, T, I, S and M). All cache finds count.
August 07, 2018 11:26PM
GC code?
August 07, 2018 11:35PM
GC7VT5D
August 07, 2018 11:40PM
Here's a checker for you:

https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC7VT5D/36485

Please test and let us know if it's suitable.
August 07, 2018 11:44PM
I don't want the checker to include events or unknown caches. It needs to have multi's, wherigo's, webcam, earthcache, letterboxes and traditional.

Also, it should seek out the letter A, U, T, I, S and M.

I'm currently working with a reviewer to see if I need to change the qualifications. I'll keep your posted if that happens.
August 07, 2018 11:48PM
Hold on, you said "where each cache type starts with a different letter". It now sounds like you meant the cache name must start with those letters? If so, that's not allowed as per rule 10 of the challenge cache guidelines:

Not allowed: These cache page elements: cache titles, cache owner, GC Codes, publishing Reviewer, or cache page text.
August 07, 2018 11:51PM
Yeah I was trying to use the title of the caches to spell a specific word. I guess that's not allowed. I also tried using GC codes, but that's not allowed under rule 10 either. Do you have any suggestions as to what I might try and how to move forward with it.

I have seen caches in the past where you have to have found 50+ caches with the word "paddle, kayak, etc" in the title and those got published.
August 08, 2018 12:07AM
Those are the old rules where anything goes and the relevant GC codes will be something before GC7xxxx. Only suggestion I have is to try and spell it from counties or region names. However, it shouldn't be marketed as a spelling challenge but rather one where you must find a cache from e.g. 6 groups of county names. The list of counties should be obvious for your challenge. I don't see this as being against the challenge cache guidelines, but maybe speak to your reviewer first.
August 08, 2018 12:10AM
So find 6 caches from 6 different counties where each county starts with an A, U, T, I, S or M? Am I understanding that correctly?
August 08, 2018 12:14AM
Correct, and you have a list of counties for each of the letters. Or list of regions. Or list of countries. AKA, the challenge is that you need to find 6 caches in total, one from each of the listed 6 groups.
August 08, 2018 12:24AM
Does the publisher have to qualify for the challenge cache themselves? I was thinking about find 6 caches from 6 different states, each state must start with A, U, T, I, S or M. Within find must be a different types (Earthcache, Traditional, Wherigo, Letterbox, Multicache and Webcam).

If I don't have to qualify than this would be amazing.
August 08, 2018 12:42AM
First off, thanks for helping me out.

The checker needs to find caches in any county that starts with an A, U, T, I, S, or M 6 total cache's are needed from any county that starts with the letters above. The type doesn't matter and the state doesn't matter.

Thanks for the idea!
August 08, 2018 06:54AM
Here's a checker for you:

https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC7VT5D/36489

It seems you qualify already. Will still try to return the output in the correct order.
August 08, 2018 07:44PM
Managed to create a checker where the letters are in order. Let me know what you think. Same checker link as above.
August 08, 2018 09:24PM
string ""]:1097: bad argument #1 to 'upper' (string expected, got nil)

I suspect this is because I have finds in some countries that don't have counties defined.
August 08, 2018 09:32PM
Okay, I've assumed the first letter of county will be uppercase and dropped that portion and it now works on your profile.
August 08, 2018 03:04AM
"Does the publisher have to qualify for the challenge cache themselves?"

Yes. Guideline 6 states:
Challenge cache owners must show that they have met the challenge.
August 08, 2018 09:39PM
Thanks so much for all you have done for me. I used the original checker that you put up. The letters being in order was not necessary. I have included the checker on my cache page. I'm currently waiting to see if it will get published. If something comes up and I need another checker, I'll create another entry through this process. Thanks again. You guys are amazing!
August 08, 2018 09:56PM
I felt like a challenge to put them in order, so that's what I've done. (:P)

The checker to use is this one:

https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC7VT5D/36489

So please make sure you use this one since I've disabled the first one I provided (36485).
August 09, 2018 01:04AM
Instead of fighting for an appeals process, I decided to do something a way different.

I'm looking for a checker that can locate 100 or more finds for traditional, earthcaches, multi's, virtuals, letterboxes and mystery or unknown caches. All finds count

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/09/2018 01:22AM by Triple_P. (view changes)
August 09, 2018 07:27AM
What reason was given for the denial? This is why I was concerned making it a spelling challenge like we did. Might have slipped through if it was finds from 6 groups of county names. Could still change the checker to do that instead of the spelling way we did.

Do you need a checker for 100 of each of those? GC code for that challenge?
August 09, 2018 10:49AM
It's the same GC code as before. Yes I need 100 for each of those types. The reviewer said it was more of a bookkeeping exercise. They were also concerned that even spelling the world autism goes against the agenda guidelines.
August 09, 2018 11:04AM
Pity. Here's your 6x100 checker:

https://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC7VT5D/36524

Please test and let us know if it's suitable.

Shall I cancel the spelling one?
August 09, 2018 12:41PM
I went ahead and checked it out. Everything looks great. Again you guys are amazing, working around the clock to get speedy checkers to all requests. Appreciate it
August 10, 2018 05:05PM
You can cancel the spelling one. The current checker with 6 types of 100 finds each is wonderful and the cache has been published.
August 10, 2018 03:18PM
pieterix Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What reason was given for the denial? This is why
> I was concerned making it a spelling challenge
> like we did.

Reviewer here. "Find caches in six counties with names beginning with A, U, T, I, S and M" is a bookkeeping exercise, not a geocaching accomplishment. Same logic as the prohibition of challenges based on cache names.

"Find caches in six counties" is a geocaching accomplishment.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login