To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

[Resolved] request Sudoku challenge GC7W4AK

[Resolved] request Sudoku challenge GC7W4AK
August 14, 2018 12:20PM
Hello writers,
Could you please inform me if it's possible to build a checker for a D/T grid assigment?

- in every row different numbers (9 places)
- in every column different numbers (9 places)
- in every square 3x3 (so 3 horizontal and 3 vertical) different numbers.

Unlike Sudoku it's not about the numbers in a logic order (1 through 9) the main goal is to have 9 different numbers. No number is more than once in a row, column or square 3x3.
The listing should become GC7W4AK.

Awaiting your feedback, thanks in advance!
Rob.
Re: request Sudoku challenge GC7W4AK
August 14, 2018 05:27PM
Where do the numbers 1 to 9 originate from to fill the grid?
August 14, 2018 08:29PM
Hello pieterix,
The numbers originate from the founds of someones. The D/T matrix shows the different combinations of Difficulty and Terrain of caches that they have found.
Example:
For difficulty rating 1 (first row of the D/T matrix) there are 9 terrainvalues (1 through 5 with 0.5 steps).
It shows how often someone has found a D1/T1, a D1/T1.5, a D1/T2, a D1/T2.5 and so on.
The numbers to use for the challenge are those that show how often a combination is found (9 numbers) and they must be different to fullfill the challenge.
I hope this example helps, let me know if it is not. Is there a way to send a picture? That would help explaining.
Best regards, Rob.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/2018 08:31PM by madelief24. (view changes)
August 14, 2018 11:28PM
That sounds like it wouldn't adhere to guideline 14
August 14, 2018 11:49PM
Reviewer here. I would not publish this challenge as it is "grid art" rather than a geocaching accomplishment. Also, if the exact number is required, then the challenge is not allowed because it could discourage people from finding geocaches (so as not to change the number in a particular grid spot).
August 15, 2018 06:09AM
I think I have not explained this properly yet.
I do not understand why it does not adhere to guideline 14? This challenge is based only on someones founds. No other manipulation of the numbers....... nor is it competitive.

It uses all finds of someone since the D/T grid is made of that only. Even a 0 on a grid spot is allowed......

Also no grid-art is build, the checker algorithm only needs the rows, columns and 3x3 squares to see if all 9 numbers are different. They do not have to meet a specific number. In other words, someone could have 121 founds for combination D2, T3 while someone else would have 300 founds. It's the found number that counts. And these found number should be different in every row, column and 3x3 square.....

Hopefully I can explain it by some examples from my own matrix......
The first row (D1) show the foundnumbers 220, 266, 38, 11, 7, 8, 4, 6 and 29. That's a go in the checker since all 9 are different.
The first column (T1) show the foundnumbers 220, 107, 62, 20, 18, 10, 4, 3 and 4. This results in a no-go in the checker since there is a 4 twice. It should encourage someone to find either a cache with rating D4/T1 or a D5/T1 to get a go in the checker. Which one of the two is up to the person itself, no pressure is set for a specific one, also not in time......
The first square 3x3 (top left) shows the numbers:
220 266 38
107 2212 400
62 503 344
So that's a go too in the checker since all 9 numbers are different.......

Hopefully this explains my thoughts about this challenge. Awaiting your feedback, Rob.
August 15, 2018 07:37AM
Let's use your T1 column for an example. If you find a 5/1 cache you would qualify for that column. At that point you would have a discouragement from finding either a 4/1 or a 4.5/1 cache, since either find would disqualify you from this challenge.

Guideline 14 says that your challenge criteria should only encourage finding new caches and shouldn't have any discouragement. Basically, once you've found enough caches, additional finds should have no way to disqualify you.
August 15, 2018 03:46PM
Hello Sumbloke,
Now I understand your way of thinking.....
That's not what I had in mind for this challenge. With just 1 combination the challenge is not fulfilled, because you need the whole column (and row and 3x3 square).
All 9 possible combinations for T1 must have a value (where 0 is allowed), the challenge is about these 9 combinations have different foundnumbers. And that for every column, row and 3x3 square (the complete matrix).

Let's stick to the example.....
If someone has 1 found on the 5/1 cache, like you say.... the challenge is not fulfilled if no other T1 combinations are found by this person. The matrix would show a zero on the other 8 combinations for T1. Since all 9 values should differ to meet the challenge (and 8 times a zero doesn't differ), this person still needs different foundnumbers on the other 8 combinations for T1, so it actually encourages someone to find more caches, not prevent/discourage them.

The person could choose to leave one combination at zero (there is only 1 zero in a column, row or 3x3 square allowed for this challenge) then this person has 2 different foundnumbers, the 1 found on 5/1 and a zero on anothers combination. For the next combination the person needs 2 foundnumbers, since 2 differs from 0 and 1, still leaving 6 other T1 combinations to set with different foundnumbers than the ones before. So the foundnumber must go up to get all 9 combinations to a different number. Something like this perhaps:
D5 / T1 result of matrix = 1 found
D4,5 / T1 result of matrix = 0 found
D4 / T1 result of matrix = 2 or more founds (because it's different than 0 and 1)
D3,5 / T1 result of matrix = 3 ore more founds, but have to be different foundnumber as above
D3 / T1 result of matrix = and so on, and so on...

And the challenge is to get it right for all the other columns, rows and 3x3 squares of the foundmatrix. Not an easy task and not fulfilled by finding one cache in a row, column or 3x3 square.......

Hoping this makes sense.... awaiting your feedback, Rob.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2018 03:48PM by madelief24. (view changes)
August 15, 2018 10:57PM
The point is that even if the cacher qualifies at some time, finding other caches may cause them to no longer qualify. This then discourages the cacher from finding those other caches (or from logging them). That's the point of guideline 14.

I'm not trying to argue for the sake of arguing, it's because my understanding of the guidelines is that this challenge wouldn't be published. We checker writers aren't inclined to spend time writing a checker for conditions that the reviewer will reject. If you can convince your reviewer that the challenge is allowed, we can look at it again.

We've also established through this discussion that you don't meet the conditions yourself. Guideline 6 states the cache owner must have met their own challenge.
August 16, 2018 05:51AM
Hello sumbloke,
Thank you for your reply, I understand you can"t spent time on a checker for a challenge that might not get published. That wouldn't make sense at all....
I am aware of guideline 6, a good reason to get out and find more caches myself to get the right combinations.
Thank you for the tip about the reviewers, I will ask if it is possible. When it does I will let you / other writers know.
For now, thank you for your help & feedback, best regards, Rob
October 09, 2018 12:52PM
This thread will be archived, when you are ready just make a new request.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login