To be able to write in the forum you need to authenticate. Meanwhile it's read-only.

Re: GC6NYXG - Six Degrees of Illinois Caching Challenge

[Resolved] GC6NYXG - Six Degrees of Illinois Caching Challenge
July 25, 2016 03:31AM
The cache is awaiting approval. It is at:
https://coord.info/GC6NYXG

To qualify a cacher must have six finds that are in six different degrees of latitude (Degrees NORTH) in the state of Illinois. Working from the north to the south Illinois has caches in these degrees of latitude:
42°, 41°, 40°, 39°, 38°, 37° and 36° (At this time there are only 2 earth caches south of the 36th parallel which is south of Cairo IL) The minutes and seconds on the coords for the caches would not matter. The longitude for the caches would not matter as long as it is withing the boundaries of the state of Illinois.

I qualify for this challenge and I know on other cacher in town (1954Gator) that also qualifies. All cachers that have completed the "The Illinois All County Challenge" (GCT663) will almost certainly qualify. Those working on completing the "The Illinois All County Challenge" will probably qualify long before they get all the counties in Illinois. That was the idea for this challenge - to give those working on ALL the counties in Illinois an obtainable challenge they can get on the way to getting all the counties and to get cachers to travel a little farther to get caches outside of their usual caching area.

MY qualify caches are:
GC28 - Beverly - N 42° 05.401 W 088° 13.461
GC5DVFN - It never got weird enough for me - N 41° 30.625 W 090° 32.420
GC1AMC4 - Pole Vault - N 40° 32.809 W 089° 39.882
GC3JJ2P - Welcome to Altamont - N 39° 03.185 W 088° 44.892
GC2MH6Z - To Cache A Thief: A Tribute To Eagle1977 (MCC) - N 38° 45.510 W 088° 51.857
GC1VMDJ - What's Shaking? - Metropolis, IL (Superman!) - N 37° 09.127 W 088° 43.975
Of course in a few of these degrees latitude like 39° I have a lot of caches that could be used to qualify.

PS - I have to move the listed final on the cache page and some other small edits as suggested by the reviewer. If you have any questions or suggestions please feel free to email me at cniehaus@mchsi.com.

Thanks in advance for your consideration and support.
July 25, 2016 08:48AM
I don't believe this will be permitted under the Rule 10 (http://support.groundspeak.com/index.php?pg=kb.page&id=206#criteria) : "Not acceptable: Challenges based on user-defined mapping polygons. "

The latitudes are effectively user-defined polygons, however feel free to confirm with your local reviewer in case they interpret it differently.

What you may be able to do is define it as group the counties into the approximate bands and then say you have to get a cache from each group of counties - I've not looked at the map so don't know how close an approximation of the challenge you've set this would be.
July 25, 2016 01:33PM
I have posed the question to my reviewer and I will let you know what his ruling is.
Thanks
July 25, 2016 10:13PM
Looks like the reviewer is taking it up a notch to discuss it with others:

Reviewer Smith here, I will submit this one for a peer review as these can be tricky to properly review for publication. It will be a few days...
Thanks RS

I will let you know what becomes of it.
July 27, 2016 05:20AM
As per the request of the reviewer and the checker coders I have cut the state up into six sets of counties and now the cacher must get one county out of each set of counties. Here is a list of the counties:

1 - Jo Daviess, Stephenson, Winnebago, McHenry, Lake, Carroll, Ogle

2 - Whiteside, Lee, Dekalb, Kane, Cook, Dupage, Rock Island, Mercer, Henry, Bureau, Stark, Marshall, Putnam, LaSalle, Kendall, Grundy, Will, Kankakee

3 - Henderson, Warren, Knox, Peoria, Woodford, Livingston, Ford, Iroquois,Hancock, Adams, McDonough, Schuyler, Brown, Cass, Fulton, Mason, Menard, Tazwell, Logan, McLean, Dewitt, Piatt, Champaign, Vermillion

4 - Pike, Calhoun, Scott, Morgan, Green, Jersey, Sangamon, Macoupin, Madison, Christian, Montgomery, Bond, Macon, Shelby, Fayette, Moultrie, Effingham, Douglas, Coles, Cumberland, Jasper, Edgar, Clark, Crawford

5 - Monroe, St. Clair, Randolf, Clinton, Washington, Perry, Marion, Jefferson, Franklin, Clay, Wayne, Hamilton, Richland, Lawrence, Wabash, Edwards, White

6 - Jackson, Williamson, Saline, Gallatin, Union, Johnson, Pope, Hardin, Alexander, Pulaski, Massac

I will also give the users a link to this color coded map to make it easier.

Will this give you what you need and satisfy rule #10 for the challenge?

I have also changed the name of the challenge to "Caching Illinois North to South Challenge" since the county lines do not fall exactly along the longitudinal lines in the state.

Thanks again.
July 27, 2016 10:56AM
Here is the link to the checker ttp://project-gc.com/Challenges/GC6NYXG/22044
July 27, 2016 01:34PM
Thanks for the quick action on the checker! I ran it with a few profiles that I knew either qualified or did not qualify and for those few it seemed to work fine. I am posting the link to the checker on a Facebook page of local cachers and having them test it for me. I expect it to run fine in those tests and if it does then I will make the required changes to the cache listing and submit it again.
Thanks for the help.

One last question (I hope it is the last one). The checker lists the GC code and then "() cache does not exist". I assume that after the cache is published the () will pick up the name of the cache. Is that correct?
Thanks
July 27, 2016 03:07PM
Yes , your assumption is correct. The name will automaticly appear after the cache is published (within 24 to 48 hours)
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login